Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

How many square bails equal 1 standard round bail of hay. Thank you all for your replys on this post and all others i have posted in the past.

> That depends on the weight of your
> bales , my are about 50-60 lbs and
> my round bales are 500-600 lbs
> (4x4) so that would be about ten
> to one

I consider a small square bale to average 50 lbs. Then I just divide the 50 into the weight of the round bale. I know how many cows a square bale will feed. In the south a 50 lb bale will feed two cows a day. In the north it would take two bales or more for three cows. Of course this is quality hay, protein of 10% or better. However, in the north 10% hay is not considered quality. Protein levels of 16 to 24% are common in the north.

[email protected]

> How many square bails equal 1
> standard round bail of hay. Thank
> you all for your replys on this
> post and all others i have posted
> in the past.

In my area most small square bales are around 50 to 60 pounds and most people that feed round bales use the large ones that weigh 1,200 pounds or more. Obviously, the 4 x 5 round bales weigh considerably less than the 5 x 6 bales. And of course much depends on the type of forage being baled, moisture content, how "tight" the bales are, etc. You will pay more dollars per ton of actual hay if you use squares and squares are certainly more labor intensive. On the other hand, there is generally much less waste using squares. I feed round bales since I am an absentee owner and can only make it to my place 2 to 3 times a week. If I lived on the place and had the extra time I would feed squares, and give them only as much as they actually needed each feeding. Depending on the part of the country in which you operate, if you decide to go with round bales keep in mind that many experienced farmers & ranchers will tell you that the one "building" that will most readily "pay for itself" is a good 3 sided pole barn for round bale storage.

Latest posts