Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig Miller":2wrhahi6 said:
My time is worth something. Seems like I'd be better off to invest in a bigger barn. Buy hay year round when I can find good hay at good prices and stack it away in the barn. You could also build up a little stock pile for droughts. Does anybody do it that way?

Majority think meadow grass hay is fine for cows and hay barns just attract tax assessors. Often true, but these same folks have to buy $100 per bale hay in a drought.
Tarping hay is often the cheapest approach, with shed storage coming in second. Wrapping hay is a growing trend here, but the wrap is only designed to last months.
I like alfalfa/grass or clover/grass hay for heifers and lactating cows. I have been stockpiling about 50% of my annual usage. How much stockpile do you think is just right?

I don't have a good answer to that. I was hoping you'd tell me. 50% sounds reasonable. If you had that and we're always looking to replace what you fed through winter seems like it would be alright. If heard of some people keeping two years worth back.

Craig Miller":amii4iuw said:
If heard of some people keeping two years worth back.

I think the general answer is we all should stockpile more hay. But for fun with math:

if you borrowed at 4% to purchase hay, and then held this hay till dry weather doubled the price, then how much would profit would you have after taxes? :?

Stocker Steve":wzrmi4w7 said:
Craig Miller":wzrmi4w7 said:
If heard of some people keeping two years worth back.

I think the general answer is we all should stockpile more hay. But for fun with math:

if you borrowed at 4% to purchase hay, and then held this hay till dry weather doubled the price, then how much would profit would you have after taxes? :?
4% interest on a 4 yr note for $40 would be $6.40, taxes on $33.60 profit would be $6.72. Net profit would be $22.88 for an ROI of over 50% with my variables. Great investment

Stocker Steve":298pub4v said:
RanchMan90":298pub4v said:
Net profit would be $22.88 for an ROI of over 50% with my variables. Great investment

Sell the cows and buy a hay shed! :banana:
Lol maybe as a rainy day savings account. Cows are just a habit I can't give up :dunce:

My problem was finding it when you needed it and getting the quality you want. Most operators around here make their living with it. That presents problems in the quality aspect, especially when the operation is of such size they can't manage it all in a timely manner...aka mature hay, low protein, high flax, thick stems......, or they have a Bermuda hay patch in a river bottom somewhere and it never gets any attention other than baling and the baling period is way over the 30 day cut for max protein window.

So I tried growing my own and having it baled. That didn't work because when it's baling time everybody is busy so you can't get any custom guys over to do yours when you want them.

So I do my own, besides its good for me and the results are comforting....you don't have to worry about all of the above.

Texasmark":1qefrs77 said:
My problem was finding it when you needed it and getting the quality you want. Most operators around here make their living with it. That presents problems in the quality aspect, especially when the operation is of such size they can't manage it all in a timely manner...aka mature hay, low protein, high flax, thick stems......, or they have a Bermuda hay patch in a river bottom somewhere and it never gets any attention other than baling and the baling period is way over the 30 day cut for max protein window.

So I tried growing my own and having it baled. That didn't work because when it's baling time everybody is busy so you can't get any custom guys over to do yours when you want them.

So I do my own, besides its good for me and the results are comforting....you don't have to worry about all of the above.

Actually you do. Everything you do should be working to eliminate "all of the above". Every old cow thinks her calf is the prettiest in the pasture. Every cattleman thinks his hay is the best he could possibly feed...but is it really???

TexasBred":2beagt1o said:
Every old cow thinks her calf is the prettiest in the pasture. Every cattleman thinks his hay is the best he could possibly feed...but is it really???

I grow my own. Wish I didn't have to but the guys baling it for a living seem to care more about yield than quality and according to them its all fine horse quality hay. Growing it myself I know which hay is good and which is filler and I can feed accordingly. When the cows are calving I like to see their pies splatter when they hit the ground. After all, its what splatters that matters. After I stopped buying that fine horse quality hay my conception rate on a 45 day breeding schedule increased by 30% which showed me you can starve a cow when its belly is full of filler hay.

TexasBred":2sbonie9 said:
Texasmark":2sbonie9 said:

Actually you do. Everything you do should be working to eliminate "all of the above". Every old cow thinks her calf is the prettiest in the pasture. Every cattleman thinks his hay is the best he could possibly feed...but is it really???

Every hay buyer thinks they are experts on producing hay as well. That's why I provide the test and you decide to buy it or go elsewhere.

On behalf of good hay producers everywhere, I'd really like to apologize to you for whomever screwed you over so bad.

FiveOaksFarmGA":2c8reoi2 said:
TexasBred":2c8reoi2 said:
Texasmark":2c8reoi2 said:

Every hay buyer thinks they are experts on producing hay as well. That's why I provide the test and you decide to buy it or go elsewhere.

On behalf of good hay producers everywhere, I'd really like to apologize to you for whomever screwed you over so bad.
Humbleness has never been a virtue of a hay seller.

M-5":1ic6njfx said:
FiveOaksFarmGA":1ic6njfx said:
TexasBred":1ic6njfx said:
[/u][/b]

Like Quality hay sales around here. I offered to pay him up front for the hay that I thought I needed, he said no need to do that. Called him in February for some hay and he said he sold it all. Then Thursday he asked me if I wanted to buy some ryegrass hay, the sailor in me came out. And he had the nerve to say "you don't need to get like that"

True Grit Farms":2r9qyf57 said:
Like Quality hay sales around here. I offered to pay him up front for the hay that I thought I needed, he said no need to do that. Called him in February for some hay and he said he sold it all. Then Thursday he asked me if I wanted to buy some ryegrass hay, the sailor in me came out. And he had the nerve to say "you don't need to get like that"

Some people forget the world is round don't they?

Old boy I used to buy from was a character. You couldn't help but like him. He had a hay quality test in his truck he carried around to show people how good his hay was. I don't know where he got it or when but it sure wasn't a representative sample.

I rarely sell hay but In fairness to hay producers they have a tough job because some of the folks who have asked to buy hay from me seem to be an entitled bunch. Seems they always run out on Sunday and of course they can't work on Sunday so they need you to deliver it so you can go to he77 and not them. When you deliver it they either become real scare or they don't have their checkbook with them and they must be a forgetful bunch being it takes them weeks to find their checkbook so you can get paid. Then there are those ranchettes who need five rolls of hay for the year but they want you to deliver one roll every third Sunday.

This are but a few reasons I choose to raise and feed my own hay.

RanchMan90":gkm853xq said:
Why does everybody get into baling their own hay from an economic standpoint? A lot of operations I know have over $100k tied up in hay equipment for 100 cows and may custom bale some. I have a hard time pencilling that out not counting the lost grazing. Other than perhaps not getting gouged on hay prices in a drought year. What do you think?

For me it wasn't economics. It was more of getting your hay cut at the optimum time. Economics somewhat in that I had a lot of fertilizer invested. Timeliness can easily make a 6% protein content difference.

On the years when everyone has hay, it is difficult to get the baler out to bale. Other years people are begging to bale for a share of the hay.

Jogeephus":g1bx5hux said:
True Grit Farms":g1bx5hux said:

Some people forget the world is round don't they?

Old boy I used to buy from was a character. You couldn't help but like him. He had a hay quality test in his truck he carried around to show people how good his hay was. I don't know where he got it or when but it sure wasn't a representative sample.

I rarely sell hay but In fairness to hay producers they have a tough job because some of the folks who have asked to buy hay from me seem to be an entitled bunch. Seems they always run out on Sunday and of course they can't work on Sunday so they need you to deliver it so you can go to he77 and not them. When you deliver it they either become real scare or they don't have their checkbook with them and they must be a forgetful bunch being it takes them weeks to find their checkbook so you can get paid. Then there are those ranchettes who need five rolls of hay for the year but they want you to deliver one roll every third Sunday.

This are but a few reasons I choose to raise and feed my own hay.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. I raise and feed my own, cut some for others (of their own), and I sell what I don't plan to use. I can afford to tell them to pound salt if they're an arse of a buyer, and I will. I know majority of "customers" that buy from us personally. I will only deliver if I like you, it's at my convenience not yours, and you're paying for it. Don't like it? Buy a man sized truck and trailer and I'll load it for you whenever you want hay.

The other thing I get is a customer that says, "I have plenty of room for you to maneuver a 40' trailer." Get there and you'd be lucky to have enough room to maneuver a 12' lawn mower trailer. Nope. Just keep on driving straight back to my hay barn.

By the way, rolls don't come off the trailer until I have cash/check/credit card number physically in my possession.

True Grit Farms":3cxu720v said:
M-5":3cxu720v said:
FiveOaksFarmGA":3cxu720v said:

Come on grit all these hay folk are the best just ask them and they will tell ya

True Grit Farms":1oqjntjy said:
M-5":1oqjntjy said:
FiveOaksFarmGA":1oqjntjy said:

Yeah, we were ALL short on hay about February after the drought. I thought I was gonna run out, but the grass grew in earlier than expected. Rye has been being cut around us for a few weeks now, so not surprising that he'd have been out of hay in February and now has some Rye in stock. I'm pretty humble, especially after you get to know me and face-to-face. Just don't like the idea of some schmuck coming onto my farm and telling me he wants this this and this before he'll buy from me. Too many people calling and asking for hay to put up with that. He'll be leaving the same way he came in if it goes well for him. Sometimes hard to keep the Marine in me quiet too, so I get the Sailor comment. LOL

M-5":2i9n8zwf said:
True Grit Farms":2i9n8zwf said:
M-5":2i9n8zwf said:

Come on grit all these hay folk are the best just ask them and they will tell ya

I'd rather deal with friends myself cause you can't be the price. The only problem is the foothills of Florida are a hard pull on my crappy little Ram truck. I figured out long ago that my stuff stinks, so I try and keep it to a minimum.

FiveOaksFarmGA":pew1dulh said:
TexasBred":pew1dulh said:
Texasmark":pew1dulh said:

You don't owe me an apology and I've never been screwed on hay. I have always had hay tested and also buy it by the ton, not by the bale or roll. I've found most can't guess weight either. A good test gives me a lot of leverage in deciding what I buy. Don't use that much hay anymore but when I use to use 1500-1800 round bales a year it also allowed me to decide on hay for lactating cattle, dry cattle and heifers. A good hay test can be the best friend both a buyer and seller can have. Especially if you know how to read it. :nod:

Latest posts