Hay yield per acre?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Baled a guy's farm down the road. What is considered a average yield per acre in tons? It made good on bales per acre but this is the first time I ever checked it for yield on weight. Weighed about 10% of the bales to get an average. It is fescue/orchard grass mix.

callmefence":22ot6nmj said:
By yield per acre. Are we gonna talk per cutting or per year?
Guess I should have said per cutting. I know here a second cutting is about half of first depending on rain.

Aaron":jhj1m1sh said:
Average for me is 2.5 to 3 tons/acre. Best I ever had was just shy of 6 tons/acre.
Is that total for the year? Guess I should have said for a first cutting. Never checked any before and since I was buying this hay I wanted to do it by the ton. Know to come up with a fair price per ton. Any ideas? Not seen any priced that way here.

Zero to 5.9 tons per cutting.
Bankers here assume 3.5 tons per year average on legume grass mix. Aggressive guys fertilize for 6 tons and hope for rain.
Hay prices are very local. You need to check auction web sites of CL.

tom4018":rkoytj33 said:
Aaron":rkoytj33 said:
Average for me is 2.5 to 3 tons/acre. Best I ever had was just shy of 6 tons/acre.
Is that total for the year? Guess I should have said for a first cutting. Never checked any before and since I was buying this hay I wanted to do it by the ton. Know to come up with a fair price per ton. Any ideas? Not seen any priced that way here.

I only do first cut. Goes for pasture after that. No one sells per ton here, as most don't know what their bales weigh.

i baled a very fertile bottom field and got around 3 / ton per acre first cutting.

my last farm would be around 1 - 2.5 / ton per cut depending on bottom land / hill side / top

this farm i'm at now is new pasture i was at 1 ton / acre early first cut.

Latest posts