Hay Trivia

Help Support CattleToday:

What percent chance of rain would you guess the weatherman called for today?

• 20%

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • 0%

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • 40%

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • 60%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 80%

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • 100%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jogeephus

Reaction score
IMG_2729.jpg

am i allowed to play since we live so close by?

had a little fire get otu on the highway today. somebody tossed out a cigarette looks like. was headed for the hay...

Beefy":7x29aqty said:
am i allowed to play since we live so close by?

had a little fire get otu on the highway today. somebody tossed out a cigarette looks like. was headed for the hay...

You betcha. I'm going to let the winner have unlimited use of the tedder in this field. :nod:

Hay looks good. So does the rain. :)

Had to check an electric fence that wasn't hot. This is what I found.

Ground had swallowed the post. The wire was run at 34 - 36 inches.

ga. prime":2a9wx6sg said:
If polls were outlawed, only outlaws would have polls.

If they were outlawed were would the professional bowlers tour be?

Beefy":18vtj0wi said:
i didnt know we could still do polls.

Macon allows you to if you give him your credit card number. Not sure how much it costs but he told me it was a deal so what the heck! ;-) :lol2: (just kidding - they changed the format some)

Vett, what happened? When it rained did the ground suck down the post or did the soil actually swell up the post. I had a post like that last month after one of the storms but a tree hit it dead on in its fall and drove the sucker in the ground like a nail. Unfortunately the twist-ties held the bottom wire on the fence and I had to dig the thing out.

Looks like most got it right. Weather guru called for 20%. Said it was 40% yesterday and it was a beautiful day. They dropped the chance to 20% and then none the rest of the week. I don't know how much I got but I know the garden sure appeciated it.

ga. prime":3q4rko22 said:
If polls were outlawed, only outlaws would have polls.

its not the polls that are the problem, its the people operating the polls. i feel like Mr. Jo G. is a responsible poll owner.

the magic numbers for the weather folks around here are 30 & 70...

30% chance of rain means it will
70% means it won't

gotta have something to do with the danged metric system they put in a while back... :D

If you remember the picture of the crack that was 3 ft deep several days ago. This post was not far from that one. This is a fence around the haybarns and equipment storage area, on the other side is what I cut for hay. The fence is their so I can turn the cows into the area around the barns and storage area to graze from time to time. I rebuilt it this last spring when it was wet. Can't really see the crack but the ground kind of opened up since it has been so dry. Their was another several post away that I had to redrive because it was leaning at about a 60 degree angle when I tightened the fence.

I've got some barbwire fence I built back in April that I'll probably have to restretch after we get some rain to swell the ground around the post again. It has a lot of short pulls that looks like I hand pulled the wire. Looks pitifull. I set the corners with concrete but their is a 1 inch crack all around the concrete.

I don't remember the cracks being this big or deep in 2006 when it was so dry. Hasn't been as hot as it was then either.

I guessed 20%, what the heck ever that means . Really, how can you be wrong ? Jo, looks like you got the 20% :? .

Larry

The poll needs more subsets. (or something)
Do you have hay on the ground? Adjust a 20% chance by 4, to equal an 80% chance.
Do you need rain? Adjust a 20% chance by zero. Twenty times zero=zero.
Do you wish it would stop raining? Adjust by 5, and google "Ark Plans".

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Yeah, I got my 20% and then some. You know 3 months ago I doubt I could have bought a drop of rain when they said 70%. I was experiencing that doughnut weather like Vett has been experiencing. Of course I'll take rain over dry any day but you'd think a 20% chance would mean I was good to go. Oh well, the garden sure needed the water and if I don't make quality hay out of this cutting at least my beans and peas will be top notch cause I doubt the cows would complain as loud as the pea lovers at the house.

BTW - Who wants to take on the tedder first. ;-) :banana: :banana:

Two weeks ago it called for a 20% chance of showers on Tuesday and nothing the rest of the week so I laid down about 25 acres of sudex on Monday thinking it might knock the dust off of it. Started raining Tuesday, quit Friday night. Flipped Saturday, baled Sunday (calling for 30% on Monday but didn't get squat).

Anybody ever feed moldy bmr sudangrass?

Never fed moldy sudangrass but have fed moldy millet. They don't seem to mind millet one bit and actually they seem to go out of their way to eat it. :?:

the weather man was right.... theres 100 percent chance it would rain over 20 percent of the area it was forcast for. its a reverse angle approach, so you cant blame him... its your fault for failing too desipher which :p

I was listening to the radio a few weeks back headed to camus and I think they had a new girl filling in as the broadcaster.

When it got time for the weather she something along the lines "Hey do you know if its suppose to rain" (to some one else in teh station whose answer was inaudible) and hten back on the air she says "Well i looked outside and it doesnt look like its going to rain today, so we guess it wont".

best weather report I ever heard.

CattleHand":3jrwgy50 said:
I was listening to the radio a few weeks back headed to camus and I think they had a new girl filling in as the broadcaster.

When it got time for the weather she something along the lines "Hey do you know if its suppose to rain" (to some one else in teh station whose answer was inaudible) and hten back on the air she says "Well i looked outside and it doesnt look like its going to rain today, so we guess it wont".
best weather report I ever heard.
sorta like the ol' timer use to do ;-)