Hay Test Results

Help Support CattleToday:

MudHog":2g8txbng said:
Bigfoot":2g8txbng said:
A cow here would be dead by spring eating that hay.

I wouldn't doubt that, but how does that comment help me?

In retrospect, that comment adds little to the discussion. Good luck with your cattle endeavors.

MudHog":14cam8mm said:
I have three cows that are nursing. Two of the three calves would have been gone back in December, but they escaped the pen. Now they will will be gone in two weeks. Those three look the most dry. My ryegrass is next to nothing (overseeded early November), but within the last week has shown more green than it has all along. If I can get my rye up, I would allow just the three nursing cows in there. Can I put fertilizer (nitrogen) on the rye right now?

The rye grass and dry cows may save you, I'd try the 5#'s of cubes and hay first, but if they start looking lean then you're going to have to add whole cotton seed, better hay or something

cross_7":3knov2v1 said:
MudHog":3knov2v1 said:
I have three cows that are nursing. Two of the three calves would have been gone back in December, but they escaped the pen. Now they will will be gone in two weeks. Those three look the most dry. My ryegrass is next to nothing (overseeded early November), but within the last week has shown more green than it has all along. If I can get my rye up, I would allow just the three nursing cows in there. Can I put fertilizer (nitrogen) on the rye right now?

The rye grass and dry cows may save you, I'd try the 5#'s of cubes and hay first, but if they start looking lean then you're going to have to add whole cotton seed, better hay or something

Can I fertilize rye right now with straight nitrogen? I'm not the only one that is having trouble with rye this year in my area as I've talked to others having the same trouble. The rye comes up, but is very thin. Cannot be due to lack of water, because we've received good rains. I've noticed a difference in the last week with some warmer temperatures that came through the area.

Would I benefit from rice hulls? I would have to build a bunk if I used anything other than cubes.

I can't help you there,we don't have rye here
I bet somebody like Caustic, Vette, Greybeard could help you on that

I am having a bumper Rye Grass yield this year in East Texas. Have you checked the salinity of the soil at your place in NI?
Rye grass can have a broad amount of saline tolerance and it often correlates with the cultivars of the rye grass. Hence if others in your area all have similar seed that you have and have a certain salinity in the soil, then you may see some less than normal production. The reason I ask is because you are close the coast and close to ground zero of Katrina's landfall.

Yes you can hit rye grass with N. First thing you need to check is the ph most of East Texas is acidic due to the pine.
Throwing N with a low ph your wasting your money. Turned mine in the back pasture last week rye grass was thick, you better not be behind a cow now that cough's. Be careful turning your cows in on it to soon after you hit with N as you can nitrate poison them. Rye grass sucks up the N.

MudHog":3uc806bb said:
cross_7":3uc806bb said:
MudHog":3uc806bb said:

Can I fertilize rye right now with straight nitrogen? I'm not the only one that is having trouble with rye this year in my area as I've talked to others having the same trouble. The rye comes up, but is very thin. Cannot be due to lack of water, because we've received good rains. I've noticed a difference in the last week with some warmer temperatures that came through the area.

Would I benefit from rice hulls? I would have to build a bunk if I used anything other than cubes.

If you need to supplement your cows you are better off feeding good hay second 2-1-1 known as range meal here.
If your wet cows can't maintain condition on your hay and grass you need a better cow.

You could also cut your hay for better feed value and manage you're calving so that when your cows are at their greatest demand to produce milk your grass is at maximum production
Wean calves in the fall going into winter when the cows feed requirements are lower and can get by on lower quality hay
But that just me talking :D

cross_7":1pjbwv9l said:
You could also cut your hay for better feed value and manage you're calving so that when your cows are at their greatest demand to produce milk your grass is at maximum production
Wean calves in the fall going into winter when the cows feed requirements are lower and can get by on lower quality hay
But that just me talking :D

You are actually better off here IMO fall calving as you get more growth here in our climate.
Summer heat milk production goes down. If the cow doesn't have brimmer in her calf has to nurse underwater,

MudHog":3j23oyzq said:
Rice hulls for what??? They have almost no nutritional value although I've heard of some folks using them for bedding. Since you're not talking about a huge number of cattle I'd probably just increase the amount of the cubes you plan to feed and get it on up to 6-7 lbs. per head per day and continue to feed them all the hay they will eat.

Thanks Guys. You guys are helping me out greatly, even if I get a booby ad shows up at the top of the webpage. :mrgreen:

1. I don't own the herd, other than my two heifers. That said, I don't shy away from doing what I need for them and my grandfather knows what I'm doing. This is the first time any of our hay has ever been tested only because I want to know where it is at. I would love to know what the hay tested back when my grandfather was in his prime and he fertilized and limed. My grandfather is up in age and I'm stepping in helping as he can't tend to the cows like he used to or like he wants to. He's 89 and still thinks he is 60. I'm following in his footsteps which is pretty different than most cattle owners, but trying to learn other methods too. One thing would be my grandfather never once used a chute and always just used the pen. If something wouldn't pen, he would rope it and pull it into the trailer with the tractor.

2. My grandfather never took his bull off the cows/heifers and still does not, so we get calves at various times. For use being so small, that isn't a major problem. However, I can see where managing the herd to say have calves in the spring would be best with the increase in grass supply. He would wean the calves to get the cows to dry up, which is about it.

3. After talking to the Lone Star guy, he suggested I cut my hay every 28-30 days, which would equal once a month. He said I won't get the tonnage, but I will get better quality hay. Things like people saying the grass was very mature makes me realize timing is important, which means planning is more important to have everyone available to come and help at a certain time to get the best hay. Last year weather and availability of help kept pushing us futher and further back.

TexasBred":3ft5px68 said:
MudHog":3ft5px68 said:
Rice hulls for what??? They have almost no nutritional value although I've heard of some folks using them for bedding. Since you're not talking about a huge number of cattle I'd probably just increase the amount of the cubes you plan to feed and get it on up to 6-7 lbs. per head per day and continue to feed them all the hay they will eat.

TB,

I was throwing rice hulls out as a feeler, but I used that because of all the rice mills we have in this area and it is easy to get.

You answered a question that I was coming here this morning to post about increasing range cubes. I used my last bag yesterday evening and will be headed to the store at lunch to get more. I'll increase the rate. I

MudHog":38y5kesw said:
TB,

I was throwing rice hulls out as a feeler, but I used that because of all the rice mills we have in this area and it is easy to get.

You answered a question that I was coming here this morning to post about increasing range cubes. I used my last bag yesterday evening and will be headed to the store at lunch to get more. I'll increase the rate. I
Mudhog check and see if they have Rice Bran. It's a very good product and usually priced very reasonable. Usually guaranteed at about 12% protein and 12% fat. They may also have "Rice Mill Feed". I wouldn't mess with it.

TexasBred":25uca38j said:
MudHog":25uca38j said:
TB,

Mudhog check and see if they have Rice Bran. It's a very good product and usually priced very reasonable. Usually guaranteed at about 12% protein and 12% fat. They may also have "Rice Mill Feed". I wouldn't mess with it.

My confusion. I said hull, but really meant bran. Rice bran is everywhere here and some of the deer hunters use bran in their feeders for deer hunting. The only thing about bran is that I would need to build a bunk or feed on the ground and expect more waste.

Now that rice bran is not available at the moment, would a protein tub be sufficent as a supp to cubes? TSC has the 24% 200# cattle tub on sale for $54.99.

MudHog":2df2ft1r said:
Now that rice bran is not available at the moment, would a protein tub be sufficent as a supp to cubes? TSC has the 24% 200# cattle tub on sale for $54.99.
I'd stick with the cubes. You can control the amount they eat and I think they are actually cheaper than that $.28 a lb. for the tub.

MudHog":8pwg7igz said:

I haven't seen that tub but I'd bet a dollar the protein is feather meal and urea
Tubs are handy when you can't be there to feed every day but when you can there are better options

Take this for what it's worth
Dry cows needs about 1.7 or so total protein per day
Nursing cows need around 2.5 or so protein per day
That's an estimate, lots of unknown factors so I'm guessing
In your climate and cold not being a real factor energy shouldn't be a problem
Your at about 1.5 with hay and cubes
Your rye grass would solve your problem if it comes on
Some alfalfa hay would be a simple fix or whole cottonseed
But your cows may be fine on what your doing now
You may not need to do anymore than what your doing now
I'd feed according to how the cows are holding up

Cool wet spring/summer in this neck of the woods last year(2013) translated into a lot of hay being made - but I'm beginning to have some real concerns that nutritive content may not be all that good.
Have not had ours tested this year; the hay producer we've been buying from for the past 6 years or so usually does a very good job, and produces some good quality hay. Just doesn't look as good this year, and my fall-calving cows really have dropped body condition much worse than in recent memory. Have had to really bump it up on them in the past month; had a few that never would cycle back in, and were looking pretty danged rough.

But, I'm also seeing, coming through the diagnostic lab - and reports of similar problems from our sister lab over in central KY - unusual numbers (and earlier than usual) of 'starve-outs' - cows with 8+-month calves in 'em or new calves on the ground, being fed only hay - with total depletion of all body fat stores. They've just 'run out of gas'...
Usually see them just before green-up, but they're coming a month or more earlier than usual; certainly possible that this unusual cold weather is just pushing 'em over the edge.

Latest posts