Hay Test Results

Help Support CattleToday:

The first 3 things I look at when buying tested baled hay 1. dry matter [or % moisture, too wet = probable mold]
2. protein 3. NDF the higher the NDF the less cows like it, over 65 NDF and most cows will not eat it unless forced.

Oat Straw 4% protein 90% dm 48 adf 72 ndf 48 tdn
The hay tested has the nutrient value of oat straw, but at least the cows will eat it a bit better.
average mixed grass hay 9.5% protein 87 dm 39 adf 58 ndf 50 tdn

Son of Butch":15w8bjlr said:
The first 3 things I look at when buying tested baled hay 1. dry matter [or % moisture, too wet = probable mold]
2. protein 3. NDF the higher the NDF the less cows like it, over 65 NDF and most cows will not eat it unless forced.

Oat Straw 4% protein 90% dm 48 adf 72 ndf 48 tdn
The hay tested has the nutrient value of oat straw, but at least the cows will eat it a bit better.
average mixed grass hay 9.5% protein 87 dm 39 adf 58 ndf 50 tdn
They simply can't eat enough of it for maintenance and production because of the fill factor and slow passage through the digestive system. It will create heat but net calorie intake would almost be nil.

TexasBred":3pgybbqk said:
They simply can't eat enough of it for maintenance and production because of the fill factor and slow passage through the digestive system. It will create heat but net calorie intake would almost be nil.

Absolutely correct TexasBred, that was my point by comparing the hay to oat straw [not oat hay]
You did a better job stating it than me.

I'm still feeding 50# 20% range cube for 12 head, plus my hay three times a day.

I've found some local wet brewers grains, but won't be available until 3 months when the place finishes their expansion. I have one place that is 10 miles from me, but a farmer already gets their grains. This week I plan to call them again and see if they can contact the farmer to inquire about possibly sharing some.

MudHog":27etlb0r said:
I'm still feeding 50# 20% range cube for 12 head, plus my hay three times a day.

I've found some local wet brewers grains, but won't be available until 3 months when the place finishes their expansion. I have one place that is 10 miles from me, but a farmer already gets their grains. This week I plan to call them again and see if they can contact the farmer to inquire about possibly sharing some.

Holy crap
That's like a monkey pee'ing on the cash register, it's going to run into some money