Hay test help

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
I received the test results back from the first hay test I have ever taken. I am not sure how to judge the results. I would appreciate any comments about this hay as primary winter feed for Hereford calves, and spring calving heifers and cows.

Also included in the weaned post on the beginners board but should probably be here.

I am not at all familiar with how to judge hay. These are drilled radial samples from about (6) 5x6 bales mixed together.

I appreciate any comments to help evaluate this test result.

hay-test-1009-trimmed.jpg

Thanks.
Jim

What type of hay is this? Looks like you've got plenty of protein there. The fiber levels are higher than I usually like to see but it depends on the type of hay too.

novaman":2k9uw10x said:
What type of hay is this? Looks like you've got plenty of protein there. The fiber levels are higher than I usually like to see but it depends on the type of hay too.

It's a Wisconsin grass/alfalfa mixture. A lot of stem in it though due to difficulties getting any hay to dry this past summer. Some of it may have been over-mature.

Thank you.

Jim

SRBeef":2khsugik said:
novaman":2khsugik said:

It's a Wisconsin grass/alfalfa mixture. A lot of stem in it though due to difficulties getting any hay to dry this past summer.

Thank you.

Jim
I assumed alfalfa/grass mix. Should be excellent feed for any class of beef animal.

That is plenty good. The pounds per day of TDN is what is the most practical for cow and heifer diets, if you look up Harlen Ritchie, Mich. State University, Basics to Beef Cattle Nutrition Extension Bulletin has all the instructions easy to follow for all the classes of cattle. He states that the NE is more usefull for the feeders. I think if you are getting 16% on your first cut then that is real good. We often never get those levels on first cut unless it is mostly legume in the mix, just can't get it baled early enough around here. On another note, just cut hay today, some first cut brome and some third alfalfa. 45 degrees here today.

hayray":20y3qx3k said:
That is plenty good. The pounds per day of TDN is what is the most practical for cow and heifer diets, if you look up Harlen Ritchie, Mich. State University, Basics to Beef Cattle Nutrition Extension Bulletin has all the instructions easy to follow for all the classes of cattle. He states that the NE is more usefull for the feeders. I think if you are getting 16% on your first cut then that is real good. We often never get those levels on first cut unless it is mostly legume in the mix, just can't get it baled early enough around here. On another note, just cut hay today, some first cut brome and some third alfalfa. 45 degrees here today.

Thank you for your comments. This is purchased hay. I am not sure if it was first or second cutting - they all sort of ran together here this year! Hard to find a dry enough period to make hay when it should have been.

I looked up some of the Harlen Ritchie information you suggested and it looks interesting although I think he is coming at nutrition from a different direction (much larger operations) than I am. In one paper he was referring to the "discovery" that cattle can be fed chicken litter as a positive development of "research" and I am not sure that is the sort of research I need....

Thank you for the reply. Jim

You didn't find the right extension bulletin. The one I am referring to is real simplistic. I know it is on the internet because I have seen it before.

Actually I looked up the correct title of the publication, it is - A review of applied beef cattle nutrition, Mich. State University.

hayray":ovz4b8m5 said:
Actually I looked up the correct title of the publication, it is - A review of applied beef cattle nutrition, Mich. State University.

Thank you. I found it printed it out and saved it. This looks to be much more useful than what I found last night. I appreciate your help and persistence! Jim

Latest posts