Hay string and knives

Help Support CattleToday:

CowpokeJ

Reaction score
It is just me? What have ya'll found that holds a good edge cutting strings everyday? I want to get something that holds an edge and that's easy to sharpen.

These work for me-
Klein brand side cutters (linemans pliers that cut to one side)
Stanley brand utility knife (replaceable blades)
Tin snips in a pinch work also.

There are a couple ofreasons I went to the kitchen shears. I think too much of my knives to lose them accidentally when opening bails and the shears are big enough that if they fall on the gorund they can be easily seen, unlike a good pocket knofe.

Utility knives are also good if you have any hay that gets clogged in your pick up reel. You would be surprised at how much you can cut out of the way.

CowpokeJ":2prg0ynw said:
It is just me? What have ya'll found that holds a good edge cutting strings everyday? I want to get something that holds an edge and that's easy to sharpen.

If you're talking about plastic string, there is not a knife made that can hold up to it and still maintain an edge. I've tried a number of them, and they just can't do it.

Yes maam. I've tried quite a few, but I think all of them have been stainless steel blades. Kershaws, gerbers, etc... I'm going to try a case or something with that type of carbon blade.

I'm with Dun on the kitchen shears. Starting using them last year and they work great. Cheap ones. Don't mind losing them.

skyline":1xjz83cq said:
I'm with Dun on the kitchen shears. Starting using them last year and they work great. Cheap ones. Don't mind losing them.

And they really work slick as snot on net wrap, you just zip them down the bale.

yeah i dont think there is a knife out there that can hold up to net wrap of cutting it off a bale or 2 every day. Best thing i have found is utility knife where u extend it and can snap off the blade as it gets duller or a box cutter where u replace the razor blades when they get dull