Hay storage/spontaneous combustion question

Help Support CattleToday:

Kell-inKY

Reaction score
All the moisture we had in the previous weeks has me wondering about hay storage. I bought my hay last week, you never really know how dry it got before they baled it and I've never worried about it before. But, this has been a difficult time to get the hay up while it's dry.

I am going to check the temperature tonight, but how much do I need to worry if I am not stacking the 5x5 bales? They are all 2 in a row in the barn but there is quite a bit of airflow on the sides, and one end.

Probably a dumb question but I like to worry.

Instead of combustion you should be worried about mold. How about sending in a sample to see what you are actually feeding as well?

Friend of mine was rolling hay last week he was just about done and it started raining so he went ahead and finished rolling in the rain. Wasn't the smartest thing to do but he did. Couple days later one of the last rolls he had rolled that was still in the feild heated up enough that there was smoke rolling out of the roll.

pricefarm":1v343lcp said:
Friend of mine was rolling hay last week he was just about done and it started raining so he went ahead and finished rolling in the rain. Wasn't the smartest thing to do but he did. Couple days later one of the last rolls he had rolled that was still in the feild heated up enough that there was smoke rolling out of the roll.
No pics? :). Better in the field than in someone's barn!

Kingfisher":1bpzttjq said:
pricefarm":1bpzttjq said:
No pics? :). Better in the field than in someone's barn!

No pics sorry didn't cross my mind to take one.

AllForage":34a9mwdr said:
Instead of combustion you should be worried about mold. How about sending in a sample to see what you are actually feeding as well?
Both. Mold and heat go hand in hand. A pretty good explanation:
Initially, plant respiration (enzyme activity), mould (fungi) and bacterial activity generate heat in stored damp hay. As temperatures rise to 43 – 66°C, heat resistant (thermophilic) bacteria and fungi grow, driving the temperature higher. These microbes die once temperatures reach about 80°C. However, when internal bale temperatures reach about 80°C or above, exothermic chemical reactions (oxidation) are initiated which can create localized hotspots in the bale. Temperatures here can rapidly increase to about 150°C or greater, associated with increasing risk of spontaneous combustion as these localized temperatures rise.

pretty easy to just stick your hand in the roll and see if they are heating.

Kell-inKY":1u675uxh said:
All the moisture we had in the previous weeks has me wondering about hay storage. I bought my hay last week, you never really know how dry it got before they baled it and I've never worried about it before. But, this has been a difficult time to get the hay up while it's dry.

I am going to check the temperature tonight, but how much do I need to worry if I am not stacking the 5x5 bales? They are all 2 in a row in the barn but there is quite a bit of airflow on the sides, and one end.

Probably a dumb question but I like to worry.
If you have any doubts at all about the moisture level leave it outside. Easier to move hay later than rebuild a barn.

We lost a barn back in 1994, it was the last hay we put in the barn that caught fire. Terrible feeling standing there watching 200 rolls burn.

Neighbor has an adult son, (that probably needs supervision). He has hay spontaneously combust quit regularly. I got a few square bales from him the other day. Backed in the barn, and several bales were smoking.