Hay shares

Help Support CattleToday:

Bn42188

Reaction score
I went and looked at some land today with the landowner he is wanting me to put it up in hay for him. He is want to do shares untold him 2/3 and 1/3 to him. The only issue we are having is he doesnt want his hay he would rather have many then the small squares. I guess my question is what do other people do in this situation and how much do you pay for his share. It's around 25 acres and it's just mixed grass hay mostly fescue. Nice thing is it's only about 3 miles from home. Thanks for the advice.

Can you do it by weight? Weigh some of your sq bales, and your round bales.... then come up with a basis... Say a round bale out of the field at 5x5 of mixed grass/fescue is 1000 lbs...... your average sq bale is 50 lbs. 20 sq bales for each round bale.
Don't forget that there is more labor in the sq bales if you have to load, or unload too.....

Sorry itll all be into squares I guess my question is how do I make it fair since he really doesnt want his share but wants money for it

Sorry they will all be small square bales. I guess my question is he doesnt want his 1/3 he just wants the money what's a fair way to sort it out. I dont really need the extra hay and dont have a place to store to sell it

If you can find a buyer to make money on it then buy it from him and resell out of the field. If it is decent hay and any horse people around then that should be easy enough. If not then tell him you will do it but not interested in his third and he should find a buyer for it. Let it be his headache. 25 acres if it's decent hay is a lot of bales to stack.

With the 2/3-1/3 deal, who is responsible for fertilizer?

Bn42188 said:
Sorry they will all be small square bales. I guess my question is he doesnt want his 1/3 he just wants the money what's a fair way to sort it out. I dont really need the extra hay and dont have a place to store to sell it

Sounds like you will have to cut a check and find a place to put it. No other way around that. Yall probably should agree on price per bale before you cut it.

Or just tell him if he wants to sell it that he needs to sell it to some one else so you dont have to hassel with it.

SDM said:

I share my hayfields and we do a 50/50 split and I cover whatever fertilizer and they make the hay. If I did 2/3s they would cover it. But that's here.

What would a fair price be on buying his share from him on mix square bales everything I sold last year was 4 to 5 bucks

chaded said:
SDM said:

I share my hayfields and we do a 50/50 split and I cover whatever fertilizer and they make the hay. If I did 2/3s they would cover it. But that's here.

Same. If they provide the fertilizer and spray weeds 50/50. If I do it's 2/3
If they don't want the hay we buy their share at a slight dicount to cover handling.

We custom make the hay for a guy and he gets squares. We cut, rake and bale. We charge him $2.50 a square bale, on the wagons (kicker wagons). He fertilizes and he unloads. It is right next to another place we make hay so convenient. No fences or water so not able to run cattle on it. He sells us any he doesn't want for the same price which we still make money on if we sell, or it just gives us a cushion for our sheep and calves. Probably could charge $3.00 but it is a neighbor thing and he doesn't skimp with the fertilizer so it makes a good stand of hay if we get the rain so it is worth the time to get a real good cutting.

callmefence said:
chaded said:
SDM said:

Same. If they provide the fertilizer and spray weeds 50/50. If I do it's 2/3
If they don't want the hay we buy their share at a slight dicount to cover handling.
Thank you both. I've got some ground a neighbor has been baling with an informal agreement. I need to make it more formal I think.

I'm sure things work different everywhere, I dont even do shares anymore, folks just letting me cut. Several lime it, I fertilize get it all, have to turn people down, still cheaper than paying someone to bushhog.
I've done about all splits 50/50, 2/3, rolls square bale splits. I cant make it pencil out to give shares with the price of equipment, seed, and fertilizer.

You're selling hay and have the opportunity to pick up a field that's close to home... Sounds like you need to add some storage space for more bales! Close proximity to your operation is worth a bit. Be prepared to give a couple different options.

I think I would have to think about custom work. Might just do it by the equipment run time hour. Reason being hazards and unknowns that slow you down and cost you money, light, or weedy growth eats up the time on the machine with low pay back. I did some work for one fella with a lot of Locust trees and irregular, some hazardous terrain (gulleys) and I told him to clean them (the trees) up before I came (if he wanted my help) and then worked by the hour, and then I told him that WE would work out any flat tire costs-efforts. He agreed, I was fair and I have been invited back.

Just did the same type of deal today. 30 acres 1/2 mile from my farm. 2/3's to me 1/3 to him. I am going to plant haygrazer and bale 3x4x8's. We agreed on me buying his share (smart on his part ) we agreed on $100 for every 3x4x8 or 20 small bales if he needs hay.