Hay Season starting

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
Heading out to start cuting.Got the old Ford 5000 out this am to cut with after sitting all winter.Hooked to the Haybine( yes some of us still use them :D ) and got it greased.
Usually don't cut hay here until Memorial Day week or so but everything is matureing early this year.Four days of sun forecast so I'm going to start.

I started 2 hours ago.
a0cif4.jpg

2vwiq1s.jpg

I've noticed a large contrast between my fields this year. Fields that are lacking in nutrients (most of them) are really lagging behind. Areas with good soil look fantastic and way ahead of schedule.

I knocked down about 10 acres today at the home place as well. I had the discbine ready a couple weeks ago, finished getting the baler ready this morning. With the weather forecast for the next few days I wasn't going to pass it up. Decided at lunch time to go for it. Have about 80 acres down the road that I'm hoping for good weather on a Memorial Day weekend to tackle that.

JW IN VA":1yos8qje said:
Heading out to start cuting.Got the old Ford 5000 out this am to cut with after sitting all winter.Hooked to the Haybine( yes some of us still use them :D ) and got it greased.
Usually don't cut hay here until Memorial Day week or so but everything is matureing early this year.Four days of sun forecast so I'm going to start.

Your late bud.. :lol: hope you got it taken care of

got 50 acres cut, tedded and turned it once.. going out this morning to turn it again then it should be ready to bale..

baled a few bales last night and a bearing went out in the baler.. got it fixed by 930 last night. .

I just cat a small field of orchard grass. It was 20% headed out. It's right next to a field of oats I planted Easter weekend and the oats are only up about 4".

The discbine has had a small leak in one of the hoses for the swing cylinder. After I got the orchard grass cut I pulled the 1/4" lines and took them to NAPA for replacement. 2 hoses, 21' long each, 4 fittings and a bucket of hydraulic fluid $309.00 Ouch.

skyhightree1":3uev8twz said:
JW IN VA":3uev8twz said:

Your late bud.. :lol: hope you got it taken care of
Actually its early for us up here in the mtns.Y'all flatlanders are several weeks ahead.Used to have two Springs and Falls every year when my wife was living in Fredricksburg and I'd drive down to see her.

Latest posts