Hay season 2021

Help Support CattleToday:

Lot of farmers cutting rye and barley here for chopping, and some rolling and wrapping. Hay is heading out but thinner and shorter. Showers and rain for the next several days... we haven't started yet. Trying to get cattle moved to pastures.

I typically shoot for grazing by June 15th (sometimes its earlier) and then graze right thru until snow fall shuts it down (sometimes thats October sometimes January).

The cows are all off the hay fields and up to the hills for 3 or 4 weeks. I am just about done with the first run of water over the fields. Things are greened up and growing but still 5-6 weeks from cutting hay. The people with alfalfa under pivots are about 3 or 4 weeks from getting the first cutting.

Baler Struggled through getting oats up and finally came apart in a pretty much fatal fashion about half way through ryegrass. Neighbor baled me out. I'm done making hay until John Deere shows up with my new baler...😎...... supposed to be here next week.

Had a snowstorm here a few days ago- which gave us some much needed moisture to get things started. NE Montana in a severe drought- so the rain and wet snow was welcomed. Don't start haying here til mid- June at earliest .

Made my first cut 3 weeks ago it got rained on for a solid week finally got it rolled up. Beautiful rye n clover not so beautiful now. From now on we will be making our own hay instead of hiring it out.
Fertilizing hay meadows today

1st cut alfalfa is done and wrapped.

Did about half of our wheat this week, still have about 40 acres left.

Unfortunately it looks like we have probably a full week of rain ahead.

Our Vermeer MC840 has been a problem child since day 1, and is pretty tired after 5 seasons. Boss finally decided to replace it, oughta work pretty well and save some time.

PXL_20210515_133214921.jpg

Latest posts