Hay season 2021

Help Support CattleToday:

Had a snowstorm here a few days ago- which gave us some much needed moisture to get things started. NE Montana in a severe drought- so the rain and wet snow was welcomed. Don't start haying here til mid- June at earliest .
OT you are still alive. I was wondering it has been a long time since you have been here.

Finished baling 40 acres of triticale yesterday. Lack of rain this spring put a whammy on my hay. We received less than .25 from the middle of March through the end of April. I had another 30 acres that I just turned the cows into. Wasn't going to be worth my time to bale.

Not sure. He usually does three but that looks like more. I actually haven't even seen it yet. My neighbor who is a bit strange sent me the pics and said he wants to buy two rolls to put in his entry way to dress it up. He has some exotic animals (ostriches, llamas, birds and a giant tortoise) in a zoo like setting and gives tours. I call him the turtle king.

Baler Struggled through getting oats up and finally came apart in a pretty much fatal fashion about half way through ryegrass. Neighbor baled me out. I'm done making hay until John Deere shows up with my new baler...😎...... supposed to be here next week.
What did you get? Equipment is scarce here on the lots so you did well if they can actually deliver it. Your milo will be a good test for it.

Not sure. He usually does three but that looks like more. I actually haven't even seen it yet. My neighbor who is a bit strange sent me the pics and said he wants to buy two rolls to put in his entry way to dress it up. He has some exotic animals (ostriches, llamas, birds and a giant tortoise) in a zoo like setting and gives tours. I call him the turtle king.

Might've ran out in the middle of wrapping a bale and wrapped it twice to be sure before dumping it.

What did you get? Equipment is scarce here on the lots so you did well if they can actually deliver it. Your milo will be a good test for it.
450m

450m... wanted the 460, but the savings between the two bought me a new rake an some change.

Did y'all sell the 840?

No, worth more as a backup than it is to sell. Plus we have a place with a really steep hill, and another with some trees that need to be mowed around, the smaller cutter is better for that.

We were originally looking at a left over 2020 DB312, but were turned off by the lack of shear protection in the cutterbar. The 313, 316, and the smaller side pulls have the shock pro hub setup, but the 310 and 312 don't for some reason.

So far I am happy with how it is set up for maintenance. Each module has a dipstick and drain. The Vermeer uses a special grease, no dipstick or drain, have to pull the top half out every year to check them, also no shear protection.

Last edited:
No, worth more as a backup than it is to sell. Plus we have a place with a really steep hill, and another with some trees that need to be mowed around, the smaller cutter is better for that.

We were originally looking at a left over 2020 DB312, but were turned off by the lack of shear protection in the cutterbar. The 313, 316, and the smaller side pulls have the shock pro hub setup, but the 310 and 312 don't for some reason.

So far I am happy with how it is set up for maintenance. Each module has a dipstick and drain. The Vermeer uses a special grease, no dipstick or drain, have to pull the top half out every year to check them, also no shear protection.
Yup, I kept my old RC7120 around as a backup and to run both when we're in bigger fields. Tossing around the idea of another 840 and selling the 7120 to have two identical machines. Dad has a 1412 NH and the cutterbar is a lot easier to service, plus it pulls a lot easier than my Vermeers. Right now I'm pulling them with 85-87 PTO hp and feel like they're a good match. Do you think that 313 would be a bit much for those tractors?

Yup, I kept my old RC7120 around as a backup and to run both when we're in bigger fields. Tossing around the idea of another 840 and selling the 7120 to have two identical machines. Dad has a 1412 NH and the cutterbar is a lot easier to service, plus it pulls a lot easier than my Vermeers. Right now I'm pulling them with 85-87 PTO hp and feel like they're a good match. Do you think that 313 would be a bit much for those tractors?

I haven't ran it yet, been raining and supposed to keep up for the rest of the week. Don't have any feedback on how it works yet.

NH says 90hp minimum for the 313. Weight is probably more important than horsepower. It gave our JD 4430 a pretty good wiggle when I was swinging it around the barnyard.

I have a lot of gripes with that 840, the cutterbar design being the biggest one, but I also don't think the header suspension works all that well. There are a whole lot of pivots that should have grease fittings and don't too.

I haven't ran it yet, been raining and supposed to keep up for the rest of the week. Don't have any feedback on how it works yet.

NH says 90hp minimum for the 313. Weight is probably more important than horsepower. It gave our JD 4430 a pretty good wiggle when I was swinging it around the barnyard.

I have a lot of gripes with that 840, the cutterbar design being the biggest one, but I also don't think the header suspension works all that well. There are a whole lot of pivots that should have grease fittings and don't too.
I looked at the 313 a few times in the past with flail conditioners, and felt like it would be pushing the envelope with the tractors that I like to cut with. Looks like a handy booger, though.

I agree with you on the lack of grease fittings, but that's 90% of new machinery in my opinion. One exception is the NH rake I bought last year, that thing has a pile of fittings on it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

1st cut alfalfa is done and wrapped.

Did about half of our wheat this week, still have about 40 acres left.

Unfortunately it looks like we have probably a full week of rain ahead.

Our Vermeer MC840 has been a problem child since day 1, and is pretty tired after 5 seasons. Boss finally decided to replace it, oughta work pretty well and save some time.

View attachment 4414

Dang you fancy man. 🤑 Oops I mean just a poor farmer trying to make it. 😉🤡

I looked at the 313 a few times in the past with flail conditioners, and felt like it would be pushing the envelope with the tractors that I like to cut with. Looks like a handy booger, though.

I agree with you on the lack of grease fittings, but that's 90% of new machinery in my opinion. One exception is the NH rake I bought last year, that thing has a pile of fittings on it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

The 310/312 may be more up your alley if you do not want the shear protection. Seems that they have suspension built into the cutterbar itself that allows it to move independently from the whole header.

I think there should be fittings on the wheel lift pivots, and on the heim joints in the header suspension arms. Both of which the New Holland has.

We've got a Vermeer 604 Pro baler, seems like they have gone to extreme lengths to hide the grease fittings, it will test your vocabulary. Has probably 30 in total, most of which are easy, but there's a couple in the driveline that are next to impossible to get at, you need to unbolt the side shields to get at the main pickup shaft bearings, and there are four on the door hinge mechanism that you need to crawl on top of the baler to reach, PLUS you get to do it twice, since you can only reach two with the gate closed, gotta open it, crawl back up, and get the other two.

I also forgot to mention, Vermeer seems to be pretty behind times with parts availability. There are no parts or diagrams available online, the only way to get parts is through a local dealer, which is about 50 miles away for me. Half the time they don't have what I need, so you gotta wait for that, then you need to go get it. I can get parts for Kubota, Case, New Holland, JD, whatever from many online dealers and have it on my doorstep in three days.

Their Haydoc service is excellent, but the guy that services our area is stretched pretty thin.

Last edited:

Latest posts