Hay rings

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have 55 head of cattle. I put out 4 bales of hay every 3-4 days. Right now I have a trailer that I put 2 bales on and the other 2 I just put on the ground. Seems like there is a good bit of hay left on the ground when the bales are finished. Would the hay rings save alot of hay?, and would it be a good idea to purchase 2-3 of them or maybe even get 4? Thanks, Seth

Five-D Cattle Farm":32020jli said:
I have 55 head of cattle. I put out 4 bales of hay every 3-4 days. Right now I have a trailer that I put 2 bales on and the other 2 I just put on the ground. Seems like there is a good bit of hay left on the ground when the bales are finished. Would the hay rings save alot of hay?, and would it be a good idea to purchase 2-3 of them or maybe even get 4? Thanks, Seth

Savings will depend on the cost of hay and how long you feed each year.
For me - - the hay savings will pay for a new ring in one winter.

yes hay rings will allow the cows to eat 95% of the hay.putting hay on the ground like your doing is wasting 50 to 60% of your hay.4 bales should last 55hd 3 days.an have no wastage.

You may be better off to just unroll one bale every day. They'll clean it up, and the manure will be spread around.

IF you buy rings, get the cone feeder which keeps the hay off the ground and has the least waste - they also cost the most to purchase.

Here is a pic of ours - scroll down to see them: http://www.sellfarm.com/farm_pictures.htm

These are J and L Haysaver rings out of Stoystown, PA. Cost about $650 several years ago (probably much more now). Can only move with a big heavy duty front loader.

Also see other posts on this site at: http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewto ... &sk=t&sd=a

Billy

Any of you using the Bextra hayrings? They look to be an alternative to the cone feeders and less expensive; though still pretty pricey when compared to a traditional hayring.

Latest posts