• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hay rings

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have 55 head of cattle. I put out 4 bales of hay every 3-4 days. Right now I have a trailer that I put 2 bales on and the other 2 I just put on the ground. Seems like there is a good bit of hay left on the ground when the bales are finished. Would the hay rings save alot of hay?, and would it be a good idea to purchase 2-3 of them or maybe even get 4? Thanks, Seth

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Five-D Cattle Farm":32020jli said:
I have 55 head of cattle. I put out 4 bales of hay every 3-4 days. Right now I have a trailer that I put 2 bales on and the other 2 I just put on the ground. Seems like there is a good bit of hay left on the ground when the bales are finished. Would the hay rings save alot of hay?, and would it be a good idea to purchase 2-3 of them or maybe even get 4? Thanks, Seth

Savings will depend on the cost of hay and how long you feed each year.
For me - - the hay savings will pay for a new ring in one winter.

bigbull338

Reaction score
yes hay rings will allow the cows to eat 95% of the hay.putting hay on the ground like your doing is wasting 50 to 60% of your hay.4 bales should last 55hd 3 days.an have no wastage.

jkwilson

Reaction score
You may be better off to just unroll one bale every day. They'll clean it up, and the manure will be spread around.

MrBilly

Reaction score
IF you buy rings, get the cone feeder which keeps the hay off the ground and has the least waste - they also cost the most to purchase.

Here is a pic of ours - scroll down to see them: http://www.sellfarm.com/farm_pictures.htm

These are J and L Haysaver rings out of Stoystown, PA. Cost about $650 several years ago (probably much more now). Can only move with a big heavy duty front loader.

Also see other posts on this site at: http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewto ... &sk=t&sd=a

Billy

Cowdirt

Reaction score
Any of you using the Bextra hayrings? They look to be an alternative to the cone feeders and less expensive; though still pretty pricey when compared to a traditional hayring.