Hay rings with the skirts at the bottom ?

Help Support CattleToday:

talltimber":1k34h9f4 said:
http://www.randclivestockequipment.com/products1.html

I think these are better than others that I have seen. I have five of them, three of which belonged to my Dad and Grandpa. They are probably 10-15 yrs old and can't tell apart from the two I bought a few yrs ago.

There are no distributors anywhere close to me for those feeders so I called and asked about the possibilities of getting set up as a dealer for them. I abandoned the idea, even at cost I couldn't see it being profitable in this area.

Ordered the bar kit for the Century feeder today. I was driving but think it was $56.00. Should have it next week.

sstterry":co0j1e45 said:
slick4591":co0j1e45 said:
I priced the Century cone feeder yesterday and at $720 it will have to wait until I get a couple calves sold.

After hearing how hard the regular ones are to assemble, you had better make sure that bad boy is assembled when you get it!

I didn't think to ask while I had the sales guy on the phone, but I do own a drill and bits in case it's not. :lol:

elkwc":4yhwjexd said:
Ordered the bar kit for the Century feeder today. I was driving but think it was $56.00. Should have it next week.

Thank you. I need to get off my butt and order some.

cfpinz":25am0e2z said:
elkwc":25am0e2z said:

Thank you. I need to get off my butt and order some.

Got mine today. Hopefully will get them installed in a few days.

Got down to 10F here the other night and froze the ground pretty well, finally! The poly feeders were easy enough for me to break loose from the frozen ground by hand and move to another location. The steel rings are still sitting in the same place, couldn't break them loose by hand and afraid the truck would destroy them. Just something else to consider.

Well, how did the bar kit work out? I just bought two of the Century poly rings and seems like they are wasting a lot of hay.

I don't see the skirt helping as much as bar kit. Thought about making my own bar kit.

https://www.gobobpipe.com/goBobOrangeOxHayConserverBaleFeeder.htm
I have 3 Hay Monster feeders, and I love them! I wish I would have got a picture the other day, I had feed 3 bales in one spot and you couldn't fill the loader bucket with hay.
The key is moving them often. I run cows on corn stalks all winter through spring thaw. I feed a bale or two then move the rings. The cows will pick through what is left.
The big things that really affect hay waste are; Hay quality, strong/hot fences, and making them clean it up.

A neighbor has always complained about how much hay his cows go through. He has hay rings in a concrete feed yard and when there is a 1/3 of a bale left he gives them another bale on top of what is left. He asked me to do chores for a week while they visited relatives. He has just moved a bale for his 13 cows and thought I might have to move 2 while they were gone. Theses are 1,600lb rnd bales. I didn't move any, and when he got back he couldn't believe how I was able to get the cows to clean up their hay.

My cows are BCS 4.5-7 in the winter you don't have to starve them to get them to clean up their hay.

Last edited:
https://www.gobobpipe.com/goBobOrangeOxHayConserverBaleFeeder.htm
I have 3 Hay Monster feeders, and I love them! I wish I would have got a picture the other day, I had feed 3 bales in one spot and you couldn't fill the loader bucket with hay.
The key is moving them often. I run cows on corn stalks all winter through spring thaw. I feed a bale or two then move the rings. The cows will pick through what is left.
The big things that really affect hay waste are; Hay quality, strong/hot fences, and making them clean it up.

A neighbor has always complained about how much hay his cows go through. He has hay rings in a concrete feed yard and when there is a 1/3 of a bale left he gives them another bale on top of what is left. He asked me to do chores for a week while they visited relatives. He has just moved a bale for his 13 cows and thought I might have to move 2 while they were gone. Theses are 1,600lb rnd bales. I didn't move any, and when he got back he couldn't believe how I was able to get the cows to clean up their hay.

My cows are BCS 4.5-7 in the winter you don't have to starve them to get them to clean up their hay.
I have four of the hay monster doubles. They are as good as SBMF says. Also, move them out of the mud in the spring and they'll be around for your estate sale. Even if the bottom ever rusts out, you can cut and weld in new pipe. They're heavy.

This is a plain Jane ring feeder vs a feeder with sheet metal around bottom
Picture. Rolls were bought at same time same place fed to same cows in the same pasture I'd say the feeder with the sheet metal around the bottom had a lot less wasted ended up buying 2 of the feeders with sheet metal around bottom out of a mans pasture for $50 each

Attachments

• D7DE6338-A386-4324-AEFD-E7732AE6FB2A.jpeg
    D7DE6338-A386-4324-AEFD-E7732AE6FB2A.jpeg
    327.8 KB · Views: 10
  • BDEFE875-6157-46B2-9E37-D3602AD0D390.jpeg
    BDEFE875-6157-46B2-9E37-D3602AD0D390.jpeg
    381.2 KB · Views: 10
Bought one of these sheeted cone feeders well used a couple years ago and can say they really help reduce hay waste and has held up well. Haven't tried Poly, but have hauled off lots of thinned walled coop and TSC feeders that just don't last.https://www.siouxsteel.com/explore-our-products/livestock-equipment/feeders/hay-feeders/closed-bottom-hay-max-feeder

The ring around the bottom helps. I have used old hay bailer belts and screwed them 2 high on the inside and that works best. No sharp edges and cheap

Latest posts