Hay rings with the skirts at the bottom ?

Help Support CattleToday:

jd720

Reaction score
Ok it`s time to buy some new hay rings so I`ve been looking at the ones with the skirts at the bottom. Do the skirts really save any hay or is that just something else to rust out. They cost $70 more but they`re also a heavier tubing than the others. Just want to hear from someone that`s had them if they`re worth the extra $$ ?

Keeps the **** out in a wintering yard.
Otherwise its just a piece that will often come loose after a period of time.
No, but don't buy cheap tinny rings either. They will not last.

jd720":1v8gzx8e said:
Ok it`s time to buy some new hay rings so I`ve been looking at the ones with the skirts at the bottom. Do the skirts really save any hay or is that just something else to rust out. They cost $70 more but they`re also a heavier tubing than the others. Just want to hear from someone that`s had them if they`re worth the extra $$ ?

JD720, definitely get the heavier duty rings...skirted ones seem to last alot longer (as in years longer) and hold up a lot better to abuse on moving them around. We have both kinds and man I wished I just bought the skirted... needless to say when we replace the lighter ones it's going to be with a heavy duty skirted one...that's my :2cents: hope that helps

Ditto to Dixie. Have had both; the skirted ones hold up better in our muddy, snowy environment where we end up moving them a couple times a month on average.

Last several years we have gotten some really heavy ones with 3 rings at bottom. They are only a few inches apart similar to a skirt. Plan was when bottom rusted off it would just have 2 bottom rings and be a little shorter. None have rusted out yet. Really heavy run about 300 galvanized

snoopdog":2r8kubwa said:
We have had good luck with the skirted ones
The sheet metal on the 2 that I tried kept popping off at the welds making for some pretty sharp edges. I pulled them and still have them in the yard from last year until I get a chance to reweld :dunce:

The sheeted bottom hay rings reduce waste by about 5%-6% of the total bale weight. The cone feeders with a sheeted bottom are by far the best, but I am not sure the added cost is worth it. Personally, I am going to start buying the poly hay rings. They are more expensive on the front end, but look like they last much much longer.

https://extension.tennessee.edu/Smith/Pages/anr-How-Expensive-is-that-Hay-Ring.aspx

Go bob rings are great. I bought a few, and I have made several of my own. When good hay is put in them, there is hardly any waste

sstterry":1mwkn7li said:
JMJ Farms":1mwkn7li said:
I think I'm gonna try one of the go-bob hay rings just to see if they are really that good.

I have seen those. What is the cost as compared to a standard hay ring?

Haven't called but I THINK they're about $1200 +/-. Almost an unbeatable warranty. I'm not ready to go whole hog yet, but I figured trying one to see wouldn't be the worst investment ever.

I have no interest in ever buying another steel hay ring after using the poly feeders. These are tough as all get-out but they're a royal PITA to assemble. Bought a pallet of them last week and I'm guessing 30-50% of the holes didn't line up when we put them together. Cheapest I've found local is $250/ea.

http://www.centurylivestockfeeders.com/products.html

JMJ Farms":2e3ygq0y said:
sstterry":2e3ygq0y said:
JMJ Farms":2e3ygq0y said:
I think I'm gonna try one of the go-bob hay rings just to see if they are really that good.

I have seen those. What is the cost as compared to a standard hay ring?

Haven't called but I THINK they're about $1200 +/-. Almost an unbeatable warranty. I'm not ready to go whole hog yet, but I figured trying one to see wouldn't be the worst investment ever.
It'd be a good experiment, but that is 4x the cost of a regular ring...

cfpinz":9ayryj5l said:
I have no interest in ever buying another steel hay ring after using the poly feeders. These are tough as all get-out but they're a royal PITA to assemble. Bought a pallet of them last week and I'm guessing 30-50% of the holes didn't line up when we put them together. Cheapest I've found local is $250/ea.

http://www.centurylivestockfeeders.com/products.html

I am picking up one on Saturday. Based on the difficulty of assembly, I had them put it together for an extra $25. Mine was $279 assembled.

Latest posts