• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hay rings with the skirts at the bottom ?

Help Support CattleToday:

jd720

Reaction score
Ok it`s time to buy some new hay rings so I`ve been looking at the ones with the skirts at the bottom. Do the skirts really save any hay or is that just something else to rust out. They cost $70 more but they`re also a heavier tubing than the others. Just want to hear from someone that`s had them if they`re worth the extra $$ ?

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Keeps the **** out in a wintering yard.
Otherwise its just a piece that will often come loose after a period of time.
No, but don't buy cheap tinny rings either. They will not last.

Dixie2542

Reaction score
jd720":1v8gzx8e said:
Ok it`s time to buy some new hay rings so I`ve been looking at the ones with the skirts at the bottom. Do the skirts really save any hay or is that just something else to rust out. They cost $70 more but they`re also a heavier tubing than the others. Just want to hear from someone that`s had them if they`re worth the extra $$ ?

JD720, definitely get the heavier duty rings...skirted ones seem to last alot longer (as in years longer) and hold up a lot better to abuse on moving them around. We have both kinds and man I wished I just bought the skirted... needless to say when we replace the lighter ones it's going to be with a heavy duty skirted one...that's my :2cents: hope that helps

boondocks

Reaction score
Ditto to Dixie. Have had both; the skirted ones hold up better in our muddy, snowy environment where we end up moving them a couple times a month on average.

littletom

Reaction score
Last several years we have gotten some really heavy ones with 3 rings at bottom. They are only a few inches apart similar to a skirt. Plan was when bottom rusted off it would just have 2 bottom rings and be a little shorter. None have rusted out yet. Really heavy run about 300 galvanized

Lazy M

Reaction score
snoopdog":2r8kubwa said:
We have had good luck with the skirted ones
The sheet metal on the 2 that I tried kept popping off at the welds making for some pretty sharp edges. I pulled them and still have them in the yard from last year until I get a chance to reweld :dunce:

sstterry

Reaction score
The sheeted bottom hay rings reduce waste by about 5%-6% of the total bale weight. The cone feeders with a sheeted bottom are by far the best, but I am not sure the added cost is worth it. Personally, I am going to start buying the poly hay rings. They are more expensive on the front end, but look like they last much much longer.

https://extension.tennessee.edu/Smith/Pages/anr-How-Expensive-is-that-Hay-Ring.aspx

sstterry

Reaction score
JMJ Farms":sgpczcfy said:
I think I’m gonna try one of the go-bob hay rings just to see if they are really that good.

I have seen those. What is the cost as compared to a standard hay ring?

T & B farms

Reaction score
Go bob rings are great. I bought a few, and I have made several of my own. When good hay is put in them, there is hardly any waste

JMJ Farms

Reaction score
sstterry":1mwkn7li said:
JMJ Farms":1mwkn7li said:
I think I’m gonna try one of the go-bob hay rings just to see if they are really that good.

Haven’t called but I THINK they’re about $1200 +/-. Almost an unbeatable warranty. I’m not ready to go whole hog yet, but I figured trying one to see wouldn’t be the worst investment ever.

cfpinz

Reaction score
I have no interest in ever buying another steel hay ring after using the poly feeders. These are tough as all get-out but they're a royal PITA to assemble. Bought a pallet of them last week and I'm guessing 30-50% of the holes didn't line up when we put them together. Cheapest I've found local is $250/ea.

http://www.centurylivestockfeeders.com/products.html

Lazy M

Reaction score
JMJ Farms":2e3ygq0y said:
sstterry":2e3ygq0y said:
JMJ Farms":2e3ygq0y said:

Haven’t called but I THINK they’re about $1200 +/-. Almost an unbeatable warranty. I’m not ready to go whole hog yet, but I figured trying one to see wouldn’t be the worst investment ever.
It'd be a good experiment, but that is 4x the cost of a regular ring...

sstterry

Reaction score
cfpinz":9ayryj5l said:
I have no interest in ever buying another steel hay ring after using the poly feeders. These are tough as all get-out but they're a royal PITA to assemble. Bought a pallet of them last week and I'm guessing 30-50% of the holes didn't line up when we put them together. Cheapest I've found local is $250/ea.

http://www.centurylivestockfeeders.com/products.html

I am picking up one on Saturday. Based on the difficulty of assembly, I had them put it together for an extra $25. Mine was $279 assembled.

Latest posts