Hay rings/ calf crushing

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm not sure what you mean....do you mean crushed under the bale or under the ring itself? When we put out a bale, I'm on the ground keeping cows and calves away until the bale is in the ring. I think it would be more of a problem without a ring as cows pushing on the bale could tip it over onto a calf.

Not a problem if you use enough rings that they don't have to push and shove to get to them.

I've had one or two over the years that laid down beside the feeders and had a cow step on them when she went to the feeder. Didn't really chalk it up to the feeder's fault though, as I've also had a couple calves just get stepped on by cows not paying attention to where they're walking.

Also had a calf in a bale feeder. I rolled up to the feeder with the bale, and parked it over the feeder waiting for the calf to get out. Just as the calf was getting out, a hydraulic line blew and the bale dropped beside the calf, pinning it to the side of the feeder. I managed to muscle the bale aside, and the calf was able to crawl out. It never slept inside feeders again :) once again, not the feeder's fault, but rather the idiot who parked the bale over top of the feeder.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":1iz010ep said:
Just as the calf was getting out, a hydraulic line blew and the bale dropped beside the calf, pinning it to the side of the feeder.

Wish my neighbor could have seen this. He walks under bales on the forks constantly. Makes me cringe.

Had a calf get in and get on top of about a half bale one time. Was walking back in the early dawn to check the mamas, and heard him bawlin'. Looking through the haze I couldn't figure out what the heck was standing up there. :eek:

He wouldn't come down until I lifted the ring, and he caught me square in the knuckle against the ring with his head when he ran out. About 25 degrees out. Ouch!

I have seen calvs sleep in the hay that spils out the side of the hay ring. I can see where it be easy to have them steped on. I guess I have been lucky so far.

yep cowgirl.. I have had the same thing happen..
Not the ring causing the problem.. but the cow just didnt realize a "baby" was there...

lost a good calf last year...the cattle could access an open barn full of round bales..they ate some of the front row down about half way ..this enabled the calf to climb on top of the other hay bales..he fell down between several bales and was unable to expand his chest the breath...my fault...I had plenty hay and gave them access to it free choice..bad idea...

Latest posts