Hay ring for horses?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
What type ring do most use for horses? I know the open topped ones are made for them but more expensive. Will the others work? A slant bar or S-bar bettter?

Others will work. You may loose alittle hair off the mane and if they get spooked I have seen some bang thier heads trying to get it out. I do not use a ring on my horses. They clean it up preaty good.

tom4018":34gl6vfw said:
What type ring do most use for horses? I know the open topped ones are made for them but more expensive. Will the others work? A slant bar or S-bar bettter?

We don't - they have hay feeders if in a run, otherwise we use a iron frame (attached to the fence) with wire mesh to prevent waste. It will comfortably feed 3, but could easily be altered to accomodate more.

PS Pooog1's (I hope I've got that right, if not I apologize) response caused me to add this edit - we never, ever feed an entire bale (of any size) at one time. Our horses are fed the proper amount of hay - according to their individual needs - twice a day, every day, as close to 12 hours apart as we can get it.

We use round bale feeders. They are for horses as the cow ones will ware their mane off. This is a problem when you don't want to roach the mane off. We haven't bought any in a few years but the ones we buy are around $275-350 each.

Just a caveat:

Every horse is an individual and has unique needs. Some are "easy keepers" and others not. Some will pig out on hay if it's free choice; others will only eat what they "need". Some must be fed a "weighed" or "measured" hay ration; others do well free choice on a round bale.

This said:

The Applegate Steel ("Tombstone Model") red ring or one of the Tartar Gate's horse rings work well for either horses of Longhorn cattle. Both more expensive than the generic round bale feeders as well as heavier. Minimal problems with getting head stuck in feeder (especially the Tombstone models).

I don't like regular type cattle hay rings because they can hit their head or scrape their head if other horses beside them push or kick at them while they have their head in them.I don't use one because my horses generally do a good job cleaning everything up but they will tend to waste a little a first.IMO

I had a mare kick the side panel on a hay ring and almost tear her rear foot off. I know they can get hurt in a box stall but I sold both of my feeders as they clean it up nicely as long as it's good hay. If it's not your going to have whats left over at the bottom of the ring anyway. I just feed it off the ground and if we don't get rain soon that's what I'll be doing!

rc":2vo05nb6 said:
I had a mare kick the side panel on a hay ring and almost tear her rear foot off. I know they can get hurt in a box stall but I sold both of my feeders as they clean it up nicely as long as it's good hay. If it's not your going to have whats left over at the bottom of the ring anyway. I just feed it off the ground and if we don't get rain soon that's what I'll be doing!

I know a gal whose horse got himself caught in the hay ring, when they found him he was wearing it -- and was injured so badly they had to put him down. Really nice horse, too.

Might just be a freak thing, but I won't use a hay ring for horses after that.

I use a Sioux steel round bale feeder during the muddy parts of the year. Sioux has gained my trust from their heavy duty gates, and the horse feeder is no different. It can really take the beating and look no worse for wear.

Other than that, with my current herd anyway, it doesn't work to feed them close together. Mine, like most here, clean up good quality hay. Nothing like feeding off the snow in the winter anyway. :)

born2run":2gpz2mam said:
I use a Sioux steel round bale feeder during the muddy parts of the year. Sioux has gained my trust from their heavy duty gates, and the horse feeder is no different. It can really take the beating and look no worse for wear.

Other than that, with my current herd anyway, it doesn't work to feed them close together. Mine, like most here, clean up good quality hay. Nothing like feeding off the snow in the winter anyway. :)

I would love to feed off the ground in the winter, but it gets quite windy here and the hay would just blow away before they can eat it. The round bale hay feeder works the best here for those reasons. You will always have some that just never leave it though as well!

Our 2 horses just seem to waste too much, and as short as hay is this year need to asave all I can.

Understand that. How do they do with big round bales? I can't feed them because my horses would eat around the clock.