Hay Rake

Help Support CattleToday:

dt34715

Reaction score
I cut about 10 acres of Bermuda grass 3 times a year. What rake would you prefer to do the job?

5 bar new holland. Used ones are getting cheaper with popularity of v rakes.

Bigfoot":6cqbxgvy said:
Ditto. Another advantage to the rollabar rakes is you don;t need hydraulics to use them so you can use a lot smaller tractor, or even a Kawasaki Mule

I would go with a wheel rake too - 4 or 5 wheel. It seems that the rollabars have to make more passes to make the same size windrow but that could just be my imagination. Some don't like the wheel rakes due to roping of the hay but I rarely have that problem with mine.

I have a nh 256 4 wheel rake and a v rake.. I prefer on smaller fields like 10 acres or less the wheel rake my nh 256 is just there for a back up and large fields gets my v rake

I've got a v rake. You can't beat it for speed. I've always wanted to go behind it with a new holland, and see how much it picks up that the v left.

Bigfoot":1iu9dqfx said:

If the hay is really thick the 3 point hitch rollabar will work better as the pull type can clog up and drag the back wheels. My rollabar doesn't get much use. Wish I could figure out a way to add an extra wheel on each side of my Kuhn so I could raise and lower the 2 outside ones as needed.