Hay Production in the Rainy Corn Belt ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Our hay production is OK even if the quality is not so great. I think they will be trucking hay out of here again this winter.

What is happening in the corn belt? Are folks putting annual forages into prevent plant acres?

Seen a few few fields done with annuals. Seen even more just sitting..Maybe work something into them come late August??

I'm from central SD originally and help my dad with his land there. We didn't plant an acre of corn and only about 2/3 of soybeans. We opted not to plant any corn because my dad is retired from cattle. But many acres of corn went in late (mid june) for silage or forage. The cattleman I spoke with were actually less concerned about hay/silage feed and more concerned about a shortage of corn stalk bales for feeding rations and bedding since very little corn will be harvested for grain.

I will say I think fears are going to shift. 2 weeks ago I was feeling good about hay production and now I'm looking at the calendar and its really setting in that I'm scary close to only getting 2 hay cuttings if it gets cold in early September.