Hay Probe

Help Support CattleToday:

I'd recommend the "Penn State" hay sampler tool. Think we got ours from www.enasco.com Other mail-order places have them too. Believe we paid about $115. for ours. It takes a 1/2" drill (we use our cordless). Take a core sample from every other round bale and a random sample from small squares. Does a great job.

Much more accurate than just "gabbing a handfull and chopping it up".

You might check the probes on this website:

http://www.udyone.com/hayprobeinfo.htm#udy2000pb

I use one very similar to this one but made it myself using PVC pipe and a 1" stainless steel tube honed down very sharp on the end. Just shove it into a round bale, pull it out....use a dowel rod to push the sample from the probe into the cylinder and move on to the next bale. You can hit 10 bales in 3 minutes...much easier than drilling or paying $165 bucks for it. I think I ended up with about $20 in mine.

TexasBred":1lpgdqo2 said:
You might check the probes on this website:

http://www.udyone.com/hayprobeinfo.htm#udy2000pb

I use one very similar to this one but made it myself using PVC pipe and a 1" stainless steel tube honed down very sharp on the end. Just shove it into a round bale, pull it out....use a dowel rod to push the sample from the probe into the cylinder and move on to the next bale. You can hit 10 bales in 3 minutes...much easier than drilling or paying $165 bucks for it. I think I ended up with about $20 in mine.

There's always room for creativity and improvisation!

Nevertheless, there are people (esp. myself) that don't have the physical strength to "shove" a probe into a packed bale. The use of a special probe and an electric drill power source allows the core sample to be cut into small pieces as it "drills" into the bale. Even with a 1/2" drill being used the torque is significant when coring (guess my arthritis and old age has taken its toll...lol).

Bill, I assure you it's not that hard to shove it into the round bale. However, it does need to be honed down to a very sharp edge on the end of the probe. I'm talking sharp enough to cut your hand. Just put your hand on the end of the tube and give it a push. Heck it's harder to pull out than to push in. I use to have one on and old carpenter's hand brace. It took forever to drill that thing in there, then you had to totally remove the probe and put a bag over the end of the probe and push everything into it. Very slow and tedious when it's 110+ temp outside.

Problem here is there are at least 3 different probes/uses being discussed. Hay moisture for baling, hay moisture in a bale and hay quliaty in a bale.

After it's baled it's a bit late to worry about moisture in the bale, quality is only of interst if you're buying or selling.

Lane...I use http://www.dairyone.com/ . The do an excellent job and you get a very detailed report on your forage. Can also do wet chemistry test on complete feeds as well. Cost a little more than some local labs but I feel they do a much better job.

Only thing I ever used moisture tester for was to check moisture on baled hay and if too high use that as a tool to try and negotiate a lower price. Worth it when you buy by the ton rather than by the roll.

LaneFarms":25x53irs said:
Thanks Bill and Texasbred that is the kind of probe I a looking for. What lab do you send your samples to?

We use SDK Labs in Hutchinson, KS. They have an extensive testing service ranging from everything from forage to water to chemical to heavy metal testing. Good turn-around...usually within 10 days from time you drop sample in mail. One comprehensive test is currently $16. Their minimum charge is $8. They have a website with full information and down-loadable submission form. Also will send you collection supplies if needed.

Maybe I misunderstood...was thinking he wanted to collect a composite sample and then submit it to a lab for a complete analysis. True moisture testing is a waste of your time once hay is baled other than to haggle over price of high moisture hay.

TexasBred":39xbkw4s said:
Maybe I misunderstood...was thinking he wanted to collect a composite sample and then submit it to a lab for a complete analysis. True moisture testing is a waste of your time once hay is baled other than to haggle over price of high moisture hay.

You don't think moisture is important? Maybe I misuderstand you.
Hay analysis is based on dry matter. Water is weight. When you buy and sell, moisture is a huge factor.

john250":klxha01i said:
TexasBred":klxha01i said:

You don't think moisture is important? Maybe I misuderstand you.
Hay analysis is based on dry matter. Water is weight. When you buy and sell, moisture is a huge factor.

John, that's what I said "pricing high moisture hay". .....most folks buy by the roll tho rather than by the ton and in those cases you always run the risk of buying lots of moisture....And hay analysis is done on an "as fed" basis, however most good labs also give you the analysis on a 100% dry matter basis as well but then hay is never baled, bought, nor fed on a 100% dry matter basis.

Latest posts