hay prices

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

As a general rule and i assume it doesnt vary much from area, when is hay the highest and the lowest. whats the price on average for the hole year like is it more in the fall low in the spring. i really dont no so i am asking u.thanx for any help.

Here in N Tx, round bales have been between $30-$35 all yr long. I was hoping it might get a little cheaper because of all the rain we've had, and most folks are getting at least 3 cuttings, maybe 4!

Here in Central Texas we've pretty much got a surplus of hay, and good round bales are about $20 per roll. It's about time too.. hay has been high here for the past few years. A lot of folks are finally able to "stock up" for a change, instead of running their supplies low.

TheBullLady":bdjhnoy4 said:
Here in Central Texas we've pretty much got a surplus of hay, and good round bales are about $20 per roll. It's about time too.. hay has been high here for the past few years. A lot of folks are finally able to "stock up" for a change, instead of running their supplies low.

Might not be a stockpile after this winter. Looks like its going to be a hard one. I know I am not selling any this year, remember 99/00 round bales were going for 70 dollars.

The cheapest hay you can get is usually in the field, behind the bailer during the summer haying season. After that, the price starts going up. If the hay producer picks the hay up and hauls it to his barn, I would expect to pay more. The most expensive hay is generally during the winter when everyone is feeding. You can usually get a price break by buying in volume also. If you have the storage space try to buy all of your hay at one time rather than buying it little by little as you need it. The most expensive hay around here is usually at the feed store.

Hawk pretty well summed it up. hay is typically higher in the winter and cheaper in the spring. if you pick up the square bales in the field, they're cheaper than if we've already stacked them in the barn.

Hey guys thanx alot for all the help. that is what i pretty much assumed becuase that is just what made sense to me. so what you guys are saying is that since hay is cheaper in the summer you would save money in the long run by putting up a bigger barn and buying all the hay in the summer becuase you would save money on the hay. i hope u understand that. thanx again.

luke

Latest posts