Hay Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
A lot better up here then last year. I'm getting some very nice mixed 50% alfalfa brought in for $80 ton.
What about other parts of the country?
And a 14% mix for calves at $180 per ton.

we feed and sell mostly fescue clover and orchard grass mix hay and so far this year there has been an abundance of hay so prices are low (thats why I ain't selling any) but if the weather gets bad this winter it will increase

4x5 round bale going for $25

I won't take less than $35 and prefer $37.50

mnmtranching":3eqv84e7 said:
A lot better up here then last year. I'm getting some very nice mixed 50% alfalfa brought in for $80 ton.
What about other parts of the country?
And a 14% mix for calves at $180 per ton.
mnm compared to this area I'd call both of those bargains. Most folks price hay by the bale down here and swear each weights 13-1400 lbs. when they might weight 1000...have heard prices from $45 to $65 a bale for plain ol' grass hay. Most folks here only got 2 cuttings at the most this year and a large part of that was unfertilized and doesn't have a lot of real nutritional value. $180 for a 14% feed is pretty good price as well regardless of what's in it. Haven't heard of anything less than $200 even when bought bulk.

AC, At $50-60 per ton your hay would would sell quickly up here. But, I hope you will do some better, and I hope you will make a profit on it.
TxB, Up here we are lucky to have very good hay production close by to cut down on trucking. And if I can advise buyers, ALWAYS HAVE THE HAY WEIGHED!!
Bales are NEVER!!! as heavy as those selling think they are.

mnmtranching":1floqg8w said:
AC, At $50-60 per ton your hay would would sell quickly up here. But, I hope you will do some better, and I hope you will make a profit on it.
TxB, Up here we are lucky to have very good hay production close by to cut down on trucking. And if I can advise buyers, ALWAYS HAVE THE HAY WEIGHED!! Bales are NEVER!!! as heavy as those selling think they are.

Absolutely.....

mnmtranching":3pu8v1d6 said:
TxB, Up here we are lucky to have very good hay production close by to cut down on trucking. And if I can advise buyers, ALWAYS HAVE THE HAY WEIGHED!!
Bales are NEVER!!! as heavy as those selling think they are.
as for the weighing I know that mine weigh what I say because I randomly weigh loads or individual bales I guarentee them to weigh over 900lbs but most people around here think just because mine weigh that that all 4x5s do and like I said most weigh about 700lbs and people buying it can't understand why I want $5 more per bale than the guy down the road and they also can't understand why it takes them more bales to make it thru the winter DUH
I won't sell any for less than $35 a bale and that would be full loads if they just want 5 or 10 the price will be $37.50 it is in the barn I can keep it til next yr

The price for hay up here has double to tripled. Last year you could get a 4x5 bale of 1st cut hay, weight ???, for $20 - $25 a bale and 2nd cut for $25 - $30 a bale. This year, 1st cut hay is $40 - $50 and 2nd cut is $60 - $80. It seems like the prices go up every month. Then there is the "local farmer" that thinks if he combines green feed, he can sell all the straw for $60 a bale and also thinks he can sell the hulls from combining.

Angus Cowman":1jxeagl8 said:
4x5 round bale going for $25

I won't take less than $35 and prefer $37.50

Some around here are selling 4x5 for $25.00 too. No way they can be making any money at that, so I guess they're making up for it in volume. :dunce:

I'll pile mine up and burn it before it gets sold for $25.00......

Angus Cowman":nmbidpx6 said:
also let me give more details my 4x5s weigh between 900 and 1000lbs and are kept in the barn is hard to get a grass 4x5 bale to weigh more than that, most 4x5s around here weigh about 700lbs

I have the same situation AC. Can't give it away yet. I'll wait to see if the winter temps kick in and then try to sell it again for maybe $35 - $40 per round. There's just too much hay available down here to get a fair price.

In central Alberta hay is up a bit this year...or at least the asking price is! Don't think too much is trading hands right now because so many herds are being downsized/liquidated.
A lot of hay is being advertized in that $40-$50 a round bale range. This would be bales weighing 1100-1300 lb. range. Last year hay generally was around $10/bale cheaper.
Cattle prices are about the same as last year.
I do think the hay guy needs a better price this year as his costs have gone up significantly from the year before...fuel and fertilizer?
Our cows/calves are still out on stockpiled native grass. Should be good until Christmas if the snow holds off. If not will start feeding about 22 lbs. decent hay and around 15 lb. good two row barley straw.
Intend to wean the calves(may-June born) around the 1st of February and put them on about 14 lbs. of good hay, about 3-4 lbs of 50/50 rolled barley/oats with a bit of 32% supp. until green grass.

up here, for a nice cow hay that probably could pass as goat and sheep hay, you can get about $7-10 per 16x18x42 square bale, about 80ish lbs, and if you have prime horse hay, you can close to double that.. CDN$ that is.. the markets up here pretty much dictate you need small square bales as most people have 2 horses, or 5 cows, etc.. there is hay up here going for 3 to 5 bucks a bale, but it's plain grass and doesn't have much nutritional value.. basically swampgrass since it rains a lot on the coast

Fella gave me 100 rolls of peanut hay it I would move it off his property. I tried to sell some in the field this summer for cost just to keep me from having to move it. No takers. Now these folks are calling me wanting to buy some. Yeah, right. Like I'm going to move it again. Not a chance.

Jogeephus":8hadzinq said:
Fella gave me 100 rolls of peanut hay it I would move it off his property. I tried to sell some in the field this summer for cost just to keep me from having to move it. No takers. Now these folks are calling me wanting to buy some. Yeah, right. Like I'm going to move it again. Not a chance.

During peanut havesting season here, peanut hay was going for $29.00 per 4x5 roll, picked up in the field.

grannysoo":16ebd4zw said:
Jogeephus":16ebd4zw said:

During peanut havesting season here, peanut hay was going for $29.00 per 4x5 roll, picked up in the field.

Some here were even trying to get in the 40's for it but 25 was probably average. I'm going to horde all the hay I can get. If nothing else, I'll be bringing in free nutrients to the land.

Jogeephus":3lgucpou said:
Some here were even trying to get in the 40's for it but 25 was probably average. I'm going to horde all the hay I can get. If nothing else, I'll be bringing in free nutrients to the land.

I'm going to horde it too. Seems that people forget really quick what a Georgia drought does to the grass and availability of hay. I decided a few years ago that I would always maintain at least a 2 year supply.

grannysoo":2f8ih7ad said:
I'm going to horde it too. Seems that people forget really quick what a Georgia drought does to the grass and availability of hay. I decided a few years ago that I would always maintain at least a 2 year supply.
I'm about hallfway thru a 3 year supply. Not going to be pretty if present conditions last thru spring.

We're about 30 days out of being out of round bales. Have about 25 or 30 big squares of alfalfa in the barn we'll use up too.. but after that who knows. I see hay advertised for $35 for crap hay to $55 to $60 for good coastal, but the people I've been talking to say it's going fast!

I don't know if supply is as short as it was in 2006, and quality may be a lot worse, but I don't hear of people paying $80 or $90 a roll for anything called hay like they did back then. I see a lot going both east and west. Probably more going west than east. I think instead the cows went to the sale barn back in September and October this time.

Latest posts