hay prices

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
have the hay prices in your area gone up with the drought. I used to buy all the hay I needed for $15-$20 per bale. I am having to pay $35-$40 per bale this year. This is irrigated,fertilized sprigged bermuda grass. just mixed grass is bringing around $30+. Hay is getting very scarce again. I am glad I got all I needed. I put up twice what I thought I needed and sold some commercial cows. I thought that would make it rain but no luck so far/

Saw some round Sudan for 45.00 in the field going to get my son yesterday. That's the absolute lowest I've seen. I think it is going to be more scarce this year than last because everyone is going to hold on to their's rather than sell it. Folks that sold last year ran into a nasty suprise when they started running out. I griped last year when we started feeding hay around Halloween, but we will have to start even earlier this year. Lord, I sure am tired of this drought. I don't want to think about what hay will cost by winter.

In the Ft. Worth area, the price of round coastal bales are running $100 to $130. Small square bales are any where for $8.50 (in the field) to $12. My uncle has started feeding round bales of corn stalks and shucks. They are selling for $30. I'm sure glad I bought too many round bales last year. Hopefully, it will rain next year.

i saw some hay close to me for $60 a bale.these was 4by 5s.doubt they weighted 1000lbs.so that figured to $150 a tone for what i call pasture hay.

4 X 6 is $60 a roll if you can find it. It will be over $100 this winter. If you don't have your winter hay you better buy it now. At least pay for it.

Latest posts