Hay prices skyrocketing

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm glad I've never had to buy a bale of hay. Well, except for the horses when travelling. Feed store sells small square bales for $10 each. He says it's not hardly worth it for that, by the time he makes them, hauls them off the field to storage, stacks them, load them back up to take them to town, unload, load them back onto customer. He says by the last time he's handled it he's on a first name basis with that bale.
So I went an bought a $500 square baler and immediately made 50 bales. I figure it took less than an hour to pay for the baler.

I'd sure have to sell my 5x5 rolls of mixed grass hay for $50 roll

I never could figure out how guys could roll 4x5's and sell them for $30-35. All I could figure is they didn't have a calculator or pencil and paper

Hay sells by the ton in MT and WY. Price has been terrible to buy, good for the seller, though.
$250 or more a ton, depending on what it is. Horse hay, $300. Then the buyer has to pay shipping on it. It is still dry in both states so hay could go higher, and/or there won't be much grown. It's pretty sad. Stockmen/women are concerned. They sold their cattle down last fall, so the best are left...hope they can keep them.

Heard today, sprayed and fertilized Bermuda 5x5 rounds 1200lb will be 80 a bale this year...

I'm pretty sure they will be sitting on it. Heck they couldn't sell it at 45 last year.

Latest posts