Hay Prices from earlier thread??

Help Support CattleToday:

Alot of hay available here, first cutting was mostly all overmature because we didn't have much dry weather to make it. We usually make plenty for ourselves and sell some, and there are years we have bought some, just to have a cushion...We make 4x5 with the one baler with net wrap and 5x6 with the other baler with just twine. We like the big bales so we can make less trips and often put it on the wagon and then unload a wagon load once a week at some pastures. We haven't even moved the last group of cattle to the last winter pasture yet so aren't feeding alot, but we are at several places. For good orchard grass prices are in the $30 plus for the 4x5 and the bigger ones are $35-45. Some people just don't like to handle them.
Several dairy farmers make the big squares 3x and 4x but don't see much for sale. The small squares are what we mostly sell, second cutting orchard grass, and it goes for $4.50 to $5.50 in the field off the wagon, to $6.00-$7.50 out of the barn and/or delivered. Depends on the distance, and who is getting it. We have some customers for the last 20 years that are great, pay on the spot and help unload if they are home, or will call and mail a check right out. Then there are those that you have to make sure you get paid and it costs more. If they get it at the barn or off the wagon, its cash then.
We have not had the hay tested, we aren't trying to be in the hay business and most all the horses are just family pleasure riding horses. We also make alot of sorghum-sudan hay and our cows love it.

Aaron - yea we were lucky too this year. $25 a roll is what we had to give. Good thing we loaded up early. Hay going for $70 a roll now.

Thinking I have enough to get through winter but will probably buy another ton of feed before getting more hay.
I'll sell calves in spring and then stock up on hay for next winter.

M-5":1febahny said:
That hay is most likely just filler. 10 to 12% 4x5 roll 900# avg is 30 to 40 a roll on avg here.

The $10 a bale hay I bought was not just filler. The man sold his place. He couldn't move hay this year. It had to go. He priced it to me and asked how many I wanted. I said I would take them all. He was glad.

These are net wrapped and have been stored outside in an aisle. Green in the core from their stacking. I have not tested the hay but I do know it all grew fast this year. lots of rain. It was fertilized. He had hired that done. No way of knowing how good of a job they did. I've been watching the piles. Based on the piles it is decent hay.

Herds were reduced drastically back in the droughts. This year there was a lot of production. I am seeing hay advertised continually. There are a lot of folks around with hay for sale. I remember when we were trucking in trash and paying way too much for it. This $10 hay is not "horse quality" hay, but I would feed it to horses myself. Way better than anything we were trucking in back when.

backhoeboogie":b2ye10u1 said:
M-5":b2ye10u1 said:
That hay is most likely just filler. 10 to 12% 4x5 roll 900# avg is 30 to 40 a roll on avg here.

The $10 a bale hay I bought was not just filler. The man sold his place. He couldn't move hay this year. It had to go. He priced it to me and asked how many I wanted. I said I would take them all. He was glad.

These are net wrapped and have been stored outside in an aisle. Green in the core from their stacking. I have not tested the hay but I do know it all grew fast this year. lots of rain. It was fertilized. He had hired that done. No way of knowing how good of a job they did. I've been watching the piles. Based on the piles it is decent hay.

Herds were reduced drastically back in the droughts. This year there was a lot of production. I am seeing hay advertised continually. There are a lot of folks around with hay for sale. I remember when we were trucking in trash and paying way too much for it. This $10 hay is not "horse quality" hay, but I would feed it to horses myself. Way better than anything we were trucking in back when.

you got a good deal

M-5":2b80tykd said:
you got a good deal

Exactly M-5 Its good to be on this end. I couldn't bale it myself for that price if my equipment was paid for. Fuel and wrap cost alone would be close. Not to mention wear and tear and time.

Backhoe you did get a great deal!
Don't blame you for getting all you could.

I had my neighbor bale for me at $17.50 each net wrapped roll.
$25 a roll from his place which was still a decent fair price. Just opened my gate and drove my tractor to get it.

Latest posts