hay price in a drought

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
I have been feeding hay all summer long. it is getting drier and hotter by the day. I haven't seen a green blade of grass in weeks. the high fuel cost, high fertilizer cost and the drought has put hay around here in high demand and raised the cost $5-$15 per bale. is everyone else seeing higher priced hay this year.

Prices going up by $10 at least here. I expect it will be double by Feb. maybe sooner. :(

my dad is now asking $85/ton instead of $75/ton because of fuel prices. our first 3 cuttings went at $75, this last cutting will be at $85. regular gas in this area is now up to $2.52 after a sam's discount and $2.58 regular here in town. i don't remember the diesel prices. they are really high too.

plbcattle":3qm26aod said:
I have been feeding hay all summer long. it is getting drier and hotter by the day. I haven't seen a green blade of grass in weeks. the high fuel cost, high fertilizer cost and the drought has put hay around here in high demand and raised the cost $5-$15 per bale. is everyone else seeing higher priced hay this year.

We kind of have the same problem but for a different reason. We have had so much rain we can't get it baled. It's either raining or the fields are too wet to get into.

Holding steady up here...we plan on stocking the hay barn for winter next month...pay $105/ton delivered for heavy leafed alfalfa grass which is mostly alfalfa...can't pick it up for that price with diesel going close to $3.00...red is $2.70.
dave Mc

plbcattle":i4v5gpdl said:
Heck plbcattle, with those $18,000.00 to $25,000.00 bulls that you told us that you were guaranteed to receive for yours, that is a minimal price to have to pay for good hay.

la4angus, thanks for the concern. I just sold a 11 mo. olb bull for $16,000. I appreciate you worring about me though.

la4angus, thanks for the concern. I just sold a 11 mo. olb bull for $16,000. I appreciate you worring about me though. I was just asking what people paid for hay this year, thanks for the comment.

plbcattle":3t1t2na0 said:
la4angus, thanks for the concern. I just sold a 11 mo. olb bull for $16,000. I appreciate you worring about me though. I was just asking what people paid for hay this year, thanks for the comment.
Your rhanks are much appreciated.

plbcattle":3t3i90bu said:
la4angus, thanks for the concern. I just sold a 11 mo. olb bull for $16,000. I appreciate you worring about me though.
Hey plb
your comment got me to wondering. Did this bull maybe sell to the txshomom to keep her $16,000.00 avg up. Nice little game for the newbies hu. :lol: :lol:

i don't care if you belive me or not. I put my website out there with my sales and purchases for anyone to see. If you want to bash someone out of the blue, why don't you do it some where else. do you even have cattle or you just a board **** stirrer. either call me a liar or believe me, just don't make stupid accusations. By the way I will be glad to take you to a sale in November where we will have a bull that is going to sell for over $50,000. either back your **** up with stats or SHUT UP. feel free to look at anything I have ever said on this board. I just enjoy raising cattle and I sell them for what people are willing to pay. Thanks for your concern though
http://www.plbcattle.com

plbcattle":il597deb said:
i don't care if you belive me or not. I put my website out there with my sales and purchases for anyone to see. If you want to bash someone out of the blue, why don't you do it some where else. do you even have cattle or you just a board be nice stirrer. either call me a liar or believe me, just don't make stupid accusations. By the way I will be glad to take you to a sale in November where we will have a bull that is going to sell for over $50,000. either back your be nice up with stats or SHUT UP. feel free to look at anything I have ever said on this board. I just enjoy raising cattle and I sell them for what people are willing to pay. Thanks for your concern though
http://www.plbcattle.com
Wow. Kind of defensive aren't someone. Who is calling you a liar or saying that they don't believe you. You are the one insinuating that you may be one not to be believed.Any time that a person knows what a buill will bring months in advance at an auction I would say there is something a little fishy going on there. Not my first money britches sale plb.

laidiotangus, this will be my last post towards this. If you claim to be a registered angus breeder than you may, but probably not, have been to a registered sale. the sale manager as well as buyers have customers that send money with them to buy animals. a group of argentina cattle buyers sees the genetic worth of this particular bull and that is what they have said they will give for the bull. if you go to sales, the sale managers have money for buyers, don't kid yourself that they don't. you started this by your sarcastic remark. this post was about hay and you start this b.s. I have gotten several private messages about your past ignorant quotes and to let this go to rest. do a search on cattle today sales report, you will see where I have bought and sold top lots at almost every sale in the last couple of years. but I guess you will think they are lying also. go out and tend to your cattle and if you don't have anything intelligent to say, don't say anything at all. I don't hide behind a screen name. I have nothing to hide. you took things I said about bull sales and called me out on it, well you can find the proof you need if you look hard enough. next time you question someone, have a little more info or it might make you look like a fool again.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but it reminds me of a story Dad said my Grandfather always told. When a fellow sold hogs you used to have to drive them to a side rail for the railroad to pick up. You were never sure what the price was until you got the hogs there. Two brothers drove their hogs down to the side rail one day. Their neighbor was out with the team working his ground. He came over to the fence as they rode back and asked them "What did they give you for your hogs?" He was wanting to know where the market was at because he was thinking of driving some down himself. "The big ones brought more than the little ones," one brother said, "and beyond that it is none of you damn business."

Hope everyone getting hit by the drought makes it out all right. plbcattle, hope you find some cheap hay somewhere. I still am fascinated by the tales of my Grandfather's when they had to ride out 34 and 36. Makes you wonder if you would have the mettle to make it back then. 36 was so bad they cut down oak for the cows to eat the leaves, then they split out what they had cut for a $.01/foot. I think there was 28 days where the high was never below 100. They said the ground was so hot you brought something to sit on for lunch in the field, the ground would burn you through your clothes. We have been dry, but far from a diasaster. We have be living from one million dollar rain to the next.

plbcattle":46dqj22q said:
laidiotangus, this will be my last post towards this. If you claim to be a registered angus breeder than you may, but probably not, have been to a registered sale. the sale manager as well as buyers have customers that send money with them to buy animals. a group of argentina cattle buyers sees the genetic worth of this particular bull and that is what they have said they will give for the bull. if you go to sales, the sale managers have money for buyers, don't kid yourself that they don't. you started this by your sarcastic remark. this post was about hay and you start this b.s. I have gotten several private messages about your past ignorant quotes and to let this go to rest. do a search on cattle today sales report, you will see where I have bought and sold top lots at almost every sale in the last couple of years. but I guess you will think they are lying also. go out and tend to your cattle and if you don't have anything intelligent to say, don't say
anything at all. I don't hide behind a screen name. I have nothing to hide. you took things I said about bull sales and called me out on it, well you can find the proof you need if you
look hard enough. next time you question someone, have a little more info or it might make you look like a fool again.

Don't worry about it plb. I toohave bought cattle at several major Angus sales over the past years, not just the past 2 yrs., SUS and am known by many sales managers too.
Just stop stepping on your own toes, it won't hurt so much.

The problem with a pissing contest is

even if you win you still get pissed on

MD

And now for something completely different.

Most decent grass hay is running around 85-100 a ton delivered, but we contracted for it a month ago. A few people have started goosing the prices and I'm sure they'll end up selling the stuff, but it won;t be to me.

dun

i'm sorry i lied. I said I was going to let this rest but after recieving more emails about others being berated adnd questioned by la4angus, I had to call him out once and for all. You list a bull that you are not a listed owner of. you hide behind your screen name. your name is Lloyd Aylsworth of Aylsworth Angus; 337 584-2912.
http://www.aylsworthangus.com
now maybe you wont have as many negative things to say about people now that you can't hide any longer. You say that you have bought several high lots at angus sales and are known by sale managers. WOW. do a google search of you,your name, your cattle farm nothing comes up. next time you try to use false info to impress people you might want to have something better to use as ammo. You started this and you all but called me a liar and all the pm I have recieved from the good people on this board have said you have had questionable motives in the past. I don't know you nor have i ever done anything to you. BUT i will give you a little advice, next time before you accuse or make false accusations, you better know what you are talking about. I had hid nothing from this board and I enjoy using it to communicate with others about cattle. We don;t need or want post like this. I started this about hay and you attacked me about my bull sales.maybe next time you will remember this when you attack someone just trying to stir up some crap. and to the rest of the board I am sorry this went this far but I can't allow someone to question me or basically call me a liar without defending myself.

Latest posts