Hay preservative

Help Support CattleToday:

Cucumber35

Reaction score
Anybody know what the 'shelf life' is on propionic acid hay preservative? We have an applicator setup on the round baler but haven't used it for several years. Have one of those IBC type totes with about a 1/4 of a tank left that's been sitting in the barn for a few years. Is it still ok to use? I was wishing I had it tonight, dew was just starting to set in as I was finishing baling and I had saved a few rows that were pretty heavy and had a few tough spots for last, but I was about a half hour later finishing than I had hoped. Throwing some acid on the last dozen bales or so would have made me feel better but I just rolled on to finish up. They may be fine but of course my moisture tester needed batteries so I won't know till morning when I can check them. On that note also... anybody have any input on moisture monitors on the baler? Wondering if it would be worth having or not. The applicator is manually controlled, so you just have to go with your gut when you get to a tough spot. Thanks.

Does anybody on here even use preservative? On the plus side, my hay from last week turned out beautiful. Weather was nice so left it out a few days to sweat but moisture ended up being fine and it wasn't heating at all so got it in the barn last night with showers forecast today. Will almost be a sin to feed it to beef cattle but they should certainly enjoy it.

Cucumber35":1c2f0xx1 said:
Anybody know what the 'shelf life' is on propionic acid hay preservative?
We have an applicator setup on the round baler but haven't used it for several years.
Have one of those IBC type totes with about a 1/4 of a tank left that's been sitting in the barn for a few years.
Is it still ok to use?
About 2 1/2 year storage life under the best conditions before it would start degrading.
Imagine it would depend on weather, temperature, condensation, air exposure ect. of where it's been kept.
Other than loss of potency, probably ok to use... but I'd go double strength.

Son of Butch":1uzlo709 said:
Cucumber35":1uzlo709 said:
Anybody know what the 'shelf life' is on propionic acid hay preservative?
We have an applicator setup on the round baler but haven't used it for several years.
Have one of those IBC type totes with about a 1/4 of a tank left that's been sitting in the barn for a few years.
Is it still ok to use?
About 2 1/2 year storage life under the best conditions before it would start degrading.
Imagine it would depend on weather, temperature, condensation, air exposure ect. of where it's been kept.
Other than loss of potency, probably ok to use... but I'd go double strength.

Thanks for the reply. I assumed it wouldn't be as effective but wasn't sure if it would 'spoil' or not. I'm not really sure of the best way to safely dispose of it other than to just use it up on some crap hay I guess.

Latest posts