Hay per Cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

dawnrogerl

Reaction score
I need to start putting up hay for this winter. I have Angus cattle weighing about 1500 ea. I need to figure out how much hay I need to cover Nov. through March. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

alot of that depends on how good the hay is? i get decent hay and figure 3% of there bodyweight per cow per day.i do give them protein tubs and cubes once in a while.i have no pasture n the winter.

I figure 4-5% body weight per cow. That would be 75 pounds per cow. At 75 pounds that figures in a little waste. I do believe you also need minerals or tubs in the winter at least. a 1000 lb roll would last 13 days for one cow.

With the size of your cows and the length of your feeding period, I figure you need 6.75 round bales that average 1000 lbs for each cow. If the round bales only weigh 900 lbs, then you will need 7.5 bales per cow to make the winter.

BC":1h6m51ia said:
With the size of your cows and the length of your feeding period, I figure you need 6.75 round bales that average 1000 lbs for each cow. If the round bales only weigh 900 lbs, then you will need 7.5 bales per cow to make the winter.
:nod: that's how I figure it. But that is just enough if you have to feed that long. It's always a good idea to carry over some in case of a drought.

Isomade":kx7u6vz2 said:
BC":kx7u6vz2 said:
:nod: that's how I figure it. But that is just enough if you have to feed that long. It's always a good idea to carry over some in case of a drought.
You are right - that amount of hay was just for the 150 day feeding period. It is a wise idea to have more on hand than you need. You can always feed the older, carry-over hay first the next year.

ouch 7 bales pre cow pre year.i hope your putting the hay in hay rings.if not your wasting 60% of every bale you put out or more.ive got a cousin that dont use hay rings,an it makes me sick to see how much hay is peed an messed on.an just plain wasted.we feed hay from dec to mid march an we only use 150 to 200 bales for close to 100 hd.

I try and keep it off the ground as much as possible, It is worth the money to get a couple of Hay savers, reduce waste to around 5-10 %, I am in the range of 2 bales per head of 1400lbs bales for three months. Hay stays off the ground a waste is reduced. and isnt 1500lbs for angus a little heavy???

thommoos":2jwpykv4 said:
I try and keep it off the ground as much as possible, It is worth the money to get a couple of Hay savers, reduce waste to around 5-10 %, I am in the range of 2 bales per head of 1400lbs bales for three months. Hay stays off the ground a waste is reduced. and isnt 1500lbs for angus a little heavy???

1500 pounds is a big cow in my books for a Brangus or a Hereford. Secondly why would you want to feed what I consider cull cows. Give me that 1000 pound cow all day long she will wean just as big a calf on a lot less grocieries.

1500# is awful big for an angus cow. We figure four 4x5 bales and store 5 per head on 1200 to 1300# Lims. We are in GA. Granddad always said 25# a day on his commercial herds.

1500 lb Hay burner Angus cows --- Nov to March (My simms dont even avg 1500 lbs --thank God)
5 months = 150 days
1500 x 3% = 45 lbs per cow per day (scary)
E.G. 50 cows x 45 lbs x 150 days =
wow that is 281 (1200 lb rolls)
My advice is in GA--- plant Rye for grazing Oct 15th graze it by Dec 1 and decrease hay consumption 50% or get rid of those Hay burners. FPL will gladly take them off your hands at the packing house in Augusta, GA.

dawnrogerl":3pgurumn said:
I need to start putting up hay for this winter. I have Angus cattle weighing about 1500 ea. I need to figure out how much hay I need to cover Nov. through March. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Latest posts