Hay lot

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Always worried the hay lots wont get filled. Fingers crossed we get rain. The guys are starting to bring in the fresh baled hay, it sure smells good. Its suppose to rain today and the guys worked hard all day yesterday to get every drop of hay rolled and stacked before it does rain. I sure like how the net wrapped bales look. We used twine rolled bales for 35 years and finally got a net wrap. They sure make pretty bales.

I like the net wrap. It seems to shed rain better and hauls better if you are having to go more than a few miles.

BC":sjr1ntfy said:
I like the net wrap. It seems to shed rain better and hauls better if you are having to go more than a few miles.
We bought a new Vermeer from our son in law last year. It had a few bugs but the company came out and took care of it. Since, its bales like a charm. Now that we have a net wrap, the string tied are just messy looking. We did just fine for many years with the string tied. But now that hay is so expensive, people want the net wrapped. My husband did do some custom hay for a guy who only wanted string tied. Luckily he kept his old baler.

Got my 37 bales put away in the barn yesterday too... Barns i can get a cab tractor into are just about full again.

1982vett":10hogn7o said:
Got my 37 bales put away in the barn yesterday too... Barns i can get a cab tractor into are just about full again.
I think the next job after the equipment shed is a hay barn. We've always wanted one.

cowgirl8":31pg2dg4 said:
BC":31pg2dg4 said:
We bought a new Vermeer from our son in law last year. It had a few bugs but the company came out and took care of it. Since, its bales like a charm. Now that we have a net wrap, the string tied are just messy looking. We did just fine for many years with the string tied. But now that hay is so expensive, people want the net wrapped. My husband did do some custom hay for a guy who only wanted string tied. Luckily he kept his old baler.

What model vermeer I have a 5410 it will do net or twine. I have had it three years now and has had some bearings replaced, And that is about all. I suspect I am hard on the bearing I like to bale the bales as tight as I can get them. Waiting until Monday to start cutting.

I was up by Ft Worth today and saw some bales of what looked like cereal rye in white bags. Why do they do that?

Kingfisher":1frhmou9 said:
I was up by Ft Worth today and saw some bales of what looked like cereal rye in white bags. Why do they do that?

They call it baleage, it is baled with a high moisture content and then ferments in the bag to become silage.

Latest posts