Hay hauling trailer advice?

Help Support CattleToday:

nap

Reaction score
I'm looking for a flatbed trailer for hauling round bales. Since I will have to cover some distance to get the bales I'm looking for a trailer that will give me the most bang for the buck. I, however, don't want to compromise on safety. Can you guys comment on some of the things I should be looking for in a good (safe) trailer? I will be hauling with a one ton Ford pickup. Thanks.

I picked on up like this a couple of years ago and it's been great for hauling hay. The ramps and dovetail make it easy for moving the tractor around too. Electric brakes are a must!

FS.jpg

Check your state regs in Kansas you can not have 10000 lb axles with out it being a commercial trailer and you need a DOT number. Definately go with dual jacks, tandem axles, flip down beaver tail, have plenty of tie downs to hold load on.

Jeff

Thanks for the good advice. I've found a trailer in Arkansas that is pretty much in line with your recommendations, but the $6995.00 price tag seems kind of high for a trailer I'll use maybe three times a year. What do you think?

nap":677euhqu said:
Thanks for the good advice. I've found a trailer in Arkansas that is pretty much in line with your recommendations, but the $6995.00 price tag seems kind of high for a trailer I'll use maybe three times a year. What do you think?
Probablly a pretty good price for the trailer and the job it can do. Not the trailers fault you don't have the work.

S&S Farms":94m2ncw1 said:
Check your state regs in Kansas you can not have 10000 lb axles with out it being a commercial trailer and you need a DOT number. Definately go with dual jacks, tandem axles, flip down beaver tail, have plenty of tie downs to hold load on.

Jeff
Same here in Texas. They are passing out tickets right and left. They are also getting those that don't get wide load permits and the hay trailers without tie downs.
If you run a DOT trailer then you have to have a DOT truck, then you have to have a CDL.

In Arkansas you dont have to have DOT numbers or cdl when hauling your own personal farm product. This being said there are limits. You cannot go over a certain weight (about) 27000# GVW. Truck being a "one ton" must be licensed properly no "car tags" or "B" tags. Must be a "farm tag" and you must license for the weight. When I licesnse in AR i always choose the highest weight available it is 36000. some of the fact might be a little off but they will be really close.

smallherd101":2zfsokj1 said:
In Arkansas you dont have to have DOT numbers or cdl when hauling your own personal farm product. This being said there are limits. You cannot go over a certain weight (about) 27000# GVW. Truck being a "one ton" must be licensed properly no "car tags" or "B" tags. Must be a "farm tag" and you must license for the weight. When I licesnse in AR i always choose the highest weight available it is 36000. some of the fact might be a little off but they will be really close.

Thanks for the very useful information.

Latest posts