hay hauling question

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle":2h8ebdrg said:
I have a man that wants me to pick up loads of hay for him that are about 430 miles from where we live, so 860 mile round trip. I would travel to the hay with empty trailer and back with full load obviously. My question is what should I charge him to do this? Do I just charge by the mile and if so how much?

I have a 97 F350 Powerstroke crew cab dually so the MPG won't be very good.

Why don't you ask Dave Ramsey instead of here? :roll:

farmerjohn":v8lxad7r said:
tncattle":v8lxad7r said:
I have a man that wants me to pick up loads of hay for him that are about 430 miles from where we live, so 860 mile round trip. I would travel to the hay with empty trailer and back with full load obviously. My question is what should I charge him to do this? Do I just charge by the mile and if so how much?

I have a 97 F350 Powerstroke crew cab dually so the MPG won't be very good.

Why don't you ask Dave Ramsey instead of here? :roll:

Thats a good one! He said to ask here because people like you were better informed than he ever could be. :p

So, if you are driving a ton truck with a gvwr of 10,000 lbs and you are pulling a trailer of any kind and you dont have a cdl you are not legal ?

But if you are running farm tags on the same vechiel and dont exceed a combination weight of 26,000 lbs and stay in your own state you are legal ?

I mean running farm tags will exempt you as a commerical vechiel as long as you are not hauling for money ?

Stepper":3mjrb4nv said:
So, if you are driving a ton truck with a gvwr of 10,000 lbs and you are pulling a trailer of any kind and you dont have a cdl you are not legal ?

But if you are running farm tags on the same vechiel and dont exceed a combination weight of 26,000 lbs and stay in your own state you are legal ?

I mean running farm tags will exempt you as a commerical vechiel as long as you are not hauling for money ?

Not quite. I will address the first one and not on a truck with farm tags. If your truck is 10,000 and you hook up to a trailer less than 16,000 you are thus under 26,000 lb combined GVWR. YOU do not need a CDL, but you are considered a commercial truck and need a DOT number for your state ,if you go out of state you need a US DOT number. You will also need to have a medical certificate. This is in the state of GA. We don't have farm tags in GA.

You might consider hiring a trucking company to do it for you. They will already have all of the plates and permits necessary to do the job. They can haul more which will lower the cost per bale of transportation.

You might even make a little money on brokering the transportation. :)