hay hauling question

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I have a man that wants me to pick up loads of hay for him that are about 430 miles from where we live, so 860 mile round trip. I would travel to the hay with empty trailer and back with full load obviously. My question is what should I charge him to do this? Do I just charge by the mile and if so how much?

I have a 97 F350 Powerstroke crew cab dually so the MPG won't be very good.

I was recently quoted $1.50/mile to haul a piece of farm equipment one way. While it was pretty cheap when I added the extra cost the equipment wasn't worth it.

IF it were me I wouldn't do it for less than $2/mile round trip.

Just thinking out loud here....

* Lets say you went 60 MPH
* Lets say you got 10MPG (although you might not get that loaded).
* That's 6 gallons per hour
* At $3.00 per gallon, thats $18
* Let's say you charge $12 per hour four your time.

So thats $30 cost for every 60 miles driven, or .50 per mile.

Then add to that what you think is necssary for wear/tear on your equipment.

At $1.50 to $2.00 per mile, might be worth your time.

OklaBrangusBreeder":1pyrunfy said:
Just thinking out loud here....

* Lets say you went 60 MPH
* Lets say you got 10MPG (although you might not get that loaded).
* That's 6 gallons per hour
* At $3.00 per gallon, thats $18
* Let's say you charge $12 per hour four your time.

So thats $30 cost for every 60 miles driven, or .50 per mile.

Then add to that what you think is necssary for wear/tear on your equipment.

At $1.50 to $2.00 per mile, might be worth your time.

That makes some sense

I agree with the Brangus Breeder. I'd say 2 bucks a mile anyways because thats a long haul. It'd take that much to get me to sit in the truck that long.

tncattle":vy8smnz8 said:
I have a man that wants me to pick up loads of hay for him that are about 430 miles from where we live, so 860 mile round trip. I would travel to the hay with empty trailer and back with full load obviously. My question is what should I charge him to do this? Do I just charge by the mile and if so how much?

Hope your not going to or through Arkansas. Heard they're making it rough on wide loads of Hay.

Crowderfarms":3m4dijg4 said:
tncattle":3m4dijg4 said:

Hope your not going to or through Arkansas. Heard they're making it rough on wide loads of Hay.

Indiana and back to Tn.

sounds like the hay must contain gold to be worth that expense.

rjk":3l4dd6bg said:
sounds like the hay must contain gold to be worth that expense.

I'm not selling the hay but down here it is going anywhere from $5 to $10 a bale right now. In November-January it's gonna get more scarce and more expensive

Thats gonna be some high priced hay by the time he buys tjhe hay and pays $2.00 a mile to get it home unless I've missed something in all this.

Larry

larryshoat":1xyllf61 said:
Thats gonna be some high priced hay by the time he buys tjhe hay and pays $2.00 a mile to get it home unless I've missed something in all this.

Larry
I was thinking of charging $1.50 a mile. I'm not selling the hay or setting the prices but come Dec., Jan. and Feb. we are going to be in the middle of a hay emergency down here! There just isn't any to be had.

tncattle":3bq7wp7q said:
larryshoat":3bq7wp7q said:

Larry
I was thinking of charging $1.50 a mile. I'm not selling the hay or setting the prices but come Dec., Jan. and Feb. we are going to be in the middle of a hay emergency down here! There just isn't any to be had.

It would take more than 1.50 a mile for me to hook up and haul Hay.Just aint worth the wear and tear at that price, but that's just my opinion...

I don't know your GVWRs but if you are for hire and going interstate, and one vehicle is over 10,000 GVWR you are considered a commercial vehicle (bet your truck is) and you will need a US DOT number. Believe me, I have gone through this time and time again. I had to get a US DOT number just to take a sick bull over a state line to a vet hospital for tests.

If you are over 26,000 lb combined GVWR you will also need a CDL.

Have fun, isn't all this regulatory stuff just grand?

Billy

PS my insurance wouldn't cover me unless I pay up as a for hire trucker.

MrBilly":m4k2texa said:
I don't know your GVWRs but if you are for hire and going interstate, and one vehicle is over 10,000 GVWR you are considered a commercial vehicle (bet your truck is) and you will need a US DOT number. Believe me, I have gone through this time and time again. I had to get a US DOT number just to take a sick bull over a state line to a vet hospital for tests.

Billy

Is the key "For Hire"? I am going to haul my own hay across state lines, and wonder if I can do that without comm. license and DOT numbers.......... :?:

MrBilly":1sgvtgrt said:

Billy

My vehicle is exactly 10,000 lb. GVWR not over and my combined weight with load would be about 24,500 lbs. GVWR

tncattle":4vn47ofs said:
MrBilly":4vn47ofs said:

Billy

My vehicle is exactly 10,000 lb. GVWR not over and my combined weight with load would be about 24,500 lbs. GVWR

tncattle,

I think you are stuck in a commercial vehicle despite the truck being only 10,000 becasuse the combined GVWTR of truck and trailer , that is, combined GVWR is over 10,000.

Here is the reg:

Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicleâ€"
(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater;

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulati ... tion=390.5

You can find more disturbing info on the website.

Not to stir the puddin any more than I may have, once you are a commercial vehicle driver you MUST have a medical certificate, which means going to a doctor who has, and knows how to fill in their form. Usually renewed every one to three years based on your health.

Good fun.

Billy

Another question (cause I don't know anything about this regulation stuff)....

If your truck has a "Farm" license tag on it, can you charge for hauling? Wouldn't that be considered a "commercial" activity?

If you have farm plates, technically, you can't haul for hire. If stopped, you'd have to say it's your own hay.

Farm tags also exempt you from the the 26,000 GVW to have a CDL. The kicker is, if you don't have a CDL, you have to stay within 150 miles from home.

Moral of story within Oklahoma and 150 miles from home, I can drive anything. However, at 160 miles or crossing state lines, I'm under the same rules as trucking companies.

You are crossing state lines and out of range for your own farm use, here I believe is's a 100 mile radius of your farm. You will be considered as hauling commercial and subject to a heavy fine and possible impountment of your rig and cargo if caught without a CDL.