Hay grazer fields.

Help Support CattleToday:

That bigger stuff has got there very fast Fence, if like us you have to wait for soil temp to get up it wouldn't be till late April you got it in? Do you plant that in those same fields every year? If so how much fertiliser do you have to add?

Ken

That bigger stuff has got there very fast Fence, if like us you have to wait for soil temp to get up it wouldn't be till late April you got it in? Do you plant that in those same fields every year? If so how much fertiliser do you have to add?

Ken
Not uncommon to plant by 1st of march but we were a few weeks later this year. The fields shown are with the exception of the one full of headed out Johnson grass are later plantings. It along with 2 others I planted first waited along time for rain. And are paying for it with weeds that got up ahead of the sudan.
I usually put 250 pounds of 30-10-5 at planting. After first cutting will add 46-0-0 as needed. Figuring one pound of nitrogen to each day of projected growth.
The pic of the 10 foot tall is a small patch of just a few acres. It's a spot I rolled out hay on over the winter and plowed in the residue. It's actually younger than a couple of the other fields that look ready to cut. ...so maybe a lesson learned there.

Not uncommon to plant by 1st of march but we were a few weeks later this year. The fields shown are with the exception of the one full of headed out Johnson grass are later plantings. It along with 2 others I planted first waited along time for rain. And are paying for it with weeds that got up ahead of the sudan.
I usually put 250 pounds of 30-10-5 at planting. After first cutting will add 46-0-0 as needed. Figuring one pound of nitrogen to each day of projected growth.
The pic of the 10 foot tall is a small patch of just a few acres. It's a spot I rolled out hay on over the winter and plowed in the residue. It's actually younger than a couple of the other fields that look ready to cut. ...so maybe a lesson learned there.
That's an interesting way of calculating the nitrogen Fence. I like that, I'll try and store that in my memory.

Ken

Nice looking stands. How do you plan to put it up? Around here it's hard to get dry enough to dry bale, most folks either wrap or chop it.

Nice looking stands. How do you plan to put it up? Around here it's hard to get dry enough to dry bale, most folks either wrap or chop it.
We just wait for a 10 day forecast with no rains and 100 degree temps.
Not hard to come by here. And of course have to run it through a conditioner.
I have run it through the conditioner twice. It definitely helps. But mainly just use the really hot dry weather.

That Johnson grass hay makes darn good hay to roll out where you want to get some established. Also is good to feed in erosion spots. Roll it out in February, you will have plants in March and grazing in May.

We just wait for a 10 day forecast with no rains and 100 degree temps.
Not hard to come by here. And of course have to run it through a conditioner.
I have run it through the conditioner twice. It definitely helps. But mainly just use the really hot dry weather.
Are you cutting it 6 inches off the ground ? I have been doing this for years. A few farmers tell me it doesn't affect regrowth?

That Johnson grass hay makes darn good hay to roll out where you want to get some established. Also is good to feed in erosion spots. Roll it out in February, you will have plants in March and grazing in May.
Close to 40 acres of Johnson grass cut yesterday. I really want to get all my fields at home in Johnson grass/ryegrass and get away from the expensive seed and fertilizer hungry haygrazer. Much easier to dry to. Johnson grass and ryegrass both seed well from rolling out hay. Had a old mentor tell me if that's in your plans make sure you get it really dry, if it goes through much of a heat it can effect the seed....idk.KIMG1089.JPGKIMG1093.JPG

How many days between cutting ? This year I could only get a hold of a Sudan x Sorghum cross. I worry because one year it didn't grow back I did. Something wrong. Maybe cut it to short or because it headed before I could cut it?
60-75 days
No matter what the later cuts will have significant less yield. I let my first cut get as big as I can stand it. Hope for rain after that.
Generally if it gets water I would expect it to grow back if headed . Unless maybe to the extreme. A hard red seed head and the leaves starting to dry up? It most certainly won't do well if cut to short.

Latest posts