Hay getting rained on?

Help Support CattleToday:

M.Sarria

Reaction score
The field in the northwest that I was going to get my hay from was cut an then it got rained on now for 6 days is this hay lost now? or can it be dryed and if so will it be as good? :(

M.Sarria":2cj8psje said:
The field in the northwest that I was going to get my hay from was cut an then it got rained on now for 6 days is this hay lost now? or can it be dryed and if so will it be as good? :(

Welcome to the world of haying.

It happens - and it will continue to happen.

Is it lousy hay? Yup.

There might come a time when you are darned happy to have it.

Bale it and feed it out.

Use it as bedding if necessary - saves on the cost of straw.

Stack it, cover it and leave it for a couple of years - cows will eat it and love it. Do not ask why - I do not know - but they eat that old stuff like it was candy.

Bez>

M.Sarria":1mj0zece said:
The field in the northwest that I was going to get my hay from was cut an then it got rained on now for 6 days is this hay lost now?

Pretty much.

or can it be dryed and if so will it be as good? :(

It can probably be dried by tedding/fluffing it, but the quality is going to be pretty much lousy. Something else you need to keep in mind is the longer this hay lays on the field, the greater the chances of it killing the grass/alfalfa underneath it. We had the 6 days of rain after cutting last year, and we ended up baling the hay wetter than it should have been just to keep from killing the field.

How long after it was cut did it get rained on? This can make a lot of difference. If it was freshly cut it will be better than if it was almost ready to bale.

I'd fluff it as soon as I could and get it baled. May not be as good as it could have been but it is better than nothing. Sorry to hear this. I thought that kind of stuff only happened to me. Good luck.

Yes it was just cut the day before it started to rain. thank you all for you info.

Where in SW WA are you? That sounds just like my field. I started cutting on saturday the 14th and it rained that night and every day since until today.

Run a tedder over it to fluff it up and get it dry. It wont be the prettiest hay you will ever feed but it will feed. But it will feed. If this was first cutting that you cut in mid July you will probably need to supplement this winter with a little grain. However, with hay prices and availability what it is already anything with twine around it will look real good this winter.

Dave":aulcqe8g said:
Run a tedder over it to fluff it up and get it dry. It wont be the prettiest hay you will ever feed but it will feed. But it will feed. If this was first cutting that you cut in mid July you will probably need to supplement this winter with a little grain. However, with hay prices and availability what it is already anything with twine around it will look real good this winter.
OK thanks Dave. Kjones I live in TOUTLE is it your fields?

I am in the Grays Harbor area. I doubt its from my field, but the circumstances are the same. Is the field your getting it from anywhere near me?

Latest posts