Hay Fork

Help Support CattleToday:

sainty01

Reaction score
I have been looking for a hay fork (pitch fork) and have been searching in vain.

I pitch a lot of hay every day, and am down to one "manure" fork with one broke tine and two bent!

Does anyone know where I could find one online? (I found a few sites where their forks were listed for over $50, but I'm not going to spend that much.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Are you that far away you can't run down to an Ace Hardware, Tractor supply, Home Depot, Lowes, or even a local hardware store? If so, you can find anything on eBay.

flaboy":2s37r28d said:
Are you that far away you can't run down to an Ace Hardware, Tractor supply, Home Depot, Lowes, or even a local hardware store? If so, you can find anything on eBay.

Exactly the places to shop. I just got a new one at Ace Hardware for $18.95 (with my frequent shoper rebate and no sales tax).........first new pitchfork in 20 years (just couldn't remember where I put the old one last time I used it...........I know though I'll find it in the last place I look).
:cboy:

Personally, I like tha ones I made myself. Ya can customize tha fork tines ta tha type a forkin ya need ta do at whatever moment.

I appreciate all the answers thus far....although I'm not sure I've gotten a good one yet!! :cboy:

Yes, I really am that far from civilization!

Any other ideas...if not I guess I'll be driving an hour and a half to buy a forty dollar fork..... :help:

Ace Hardware: Free shipping to local ace
Closest: 47 miles
Cost: 37.99

Tractor Supply: No shipping available
Closest: 193 miles
Cost: 30.37

Home Depot
Closest: 105 miles
Cost: Can't seem to find a pitchfork...you sure they carry them?

Lowes: Shipping...this is hillarious...$65.
closest: 183 miles
Cost: Manure forks only... $26.97

Local Hardware Store can't get in anything but a manure fork and it is priced at 34.99.

sainty01":37zgxavi said:
I have been looking for a hay fork (pitch fork) and have been searching in vain.

I pitch a lot of hay every day, and am down to one "manure" fork with one broke tine and two bent!

Does anyone know where I could find one online? (I found a few sites where their forks were listed for over $50, but I'm not going to spend that much.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Man, that is a blues song. One broke tine and two bent. I feel like that somedays.

Do you have any retired neighbors? They just might have something like you need. I got two fine hay forks out of my grandads barn.

Okay I've used alot of forks in my day. Anything from 3 tine to 6 tine plus silage forks. So what the heck is the difference in the two?

Angus Guy":1prxx32c said:
Okay I've used alot of forks in my day. Anything from 3 tine to 6 tine plus silage forks. So what the heck is the difference in the two?

3 tines. Seriously, trying to move hay with a four or six tine fork is a B*T*H. That's why the 3 tine fork was invented. :D

Not where I am. They all work pretty much the same. Just don't fit my hands like they use to.

There are pitch forks and there are pitch forks. Important to inspect the attachment point between the "prong" and where it fits into the handle. Some of the cheaper items (pitch forks, hay forks, rakes, etc.) are not well attached to handle.

Given the above, we probably have several rakes and pitch forks without handles here. Handles often cost around $10 or so. Could make you a deal if interested. Email me.

One solution to affixing a handle is to insert fork prong into the metal shroud on a handle and then spot weld the metal attachment.

A quality pitchfork is probably going to cost around $30 to 35. or more. The cheap ones are usually bought by the "homebodies" that infrequently use one...not intended for serious use. The same thing applies to other items such as shovels, rakes, hoes, etc. Get "rancher, landscaper, contractor" grade tools for best reliabiity.

Running Bill,

From your post I have no doubt that you've wielded a few hay forks in your day!

I appreciate the offer, however, I'm afraid I already have a pile of "used parts". I have dozens of bent up tines, broken tines, broken handles, and the ever popular good fork that wasn't put together worth a hoot!

Thanks for trying......

I just hate it that the forks going to cost me $35 and shippings another $15ish.....so I have fifty dollars wrapped up in a pitch fork....I think cattle prices are going to need to go up.... :cowboy:

Latest posts