Hay for a steer.

Help Support CattleToday:

Daisy452

Reaction score
Ok the last three steers Ive left on Bermuda hay. I ve been doing research and noticed that a few people feed more 2-way or 3-way and very little feed. Which is better? Can I save money by feeding more 2 way or 3 way? and spending less on grain?

1. Bermuda hay and alot of grain
2. 2-way and a little grain
2. 3-way and a little grain

which one is better?

blackcowz":8dpln1dg said:
Once again, everyone pardon my ignorance, but what is 2-way and 3-way hay? Is it two or three kinds of hay grown and baled together?

Yes, it is two or three types a hay baled into one. Depending on where you live is depending on what is baled.

Daisy452":2wbjff7r said:
blackcowz":2wbjff7r said:
Once again, everyone pardon my ignorance, but what is 2-way and 3-way hay? Is it two or three kinds of hay grown and baled together?

Yes, it is two or three types a hay baled into one. Depending on where you live is depending on what is baled.

As an old grey haired fart I think you need to look at hay and think of it as a balanced meal.

We have raised cattle and horses for nearly 50 years now and I can honestly say that there have been very, very few times we have ever had "pure hay" as in all timothy, all brome or whatever. Generally it has been a mix of some clover or alfalfa or orchard grass, or timothy or brome and quite likely some dandelion, and/or some foxtail and/or some other types od weeds.

Be that as it may, as long as you know (have tested) what is in your hay for feed value you should be ok.

I think your "two way or three way" is a very regional or sellers "advertising hook" name thing - I am sure that many of us who do not do the show circuit (at least any more) were wondering what the heck you were talking about.

If that was a pic of you and your calf on "First fair with tie outs" thread I want to thank you for it. It made me smile big time.

You are obviously enjoying yourself, learning about life and animals and people, and I think that calf gets a fair bit of attention - so that tells me you are working with it regular - all very good things indeed.

I can hardly wait to get back and see my own animals.

Best regards

Bez+

Thank you for your help. Yes that was me, and a friends calf. My 1300 lbs steer had already been loaded up and gone. My friend was out getting lunch so i decided to play with her calf.

Latest posts