Hay Fields

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Being a new land owner of 23 acres, I have two great hayfields that as soon as I moved there neighboring farmers were stopping and asking to cut the field for the hay and giving me a fourth of it which I agree to, what I want to know is this fair, and what can I do to make some money with these fields. The only equipment I have at this time is a tractor. Any suggestions would be great. Mike

[email protected]

In this area halves is the normal rate. Depending on what kind of pasture it is you can continue haying it, but it will need regular fertilizer and maybe lime. You can have it threshed and sell the seed, usually on shares then hay it or cut it as straw. You could run a few calves on it but it would end up a lot more work then just the haying, etc.

dunmovin farms

> Being a new land owner of 23
> acres, I have two great hayfields
> that as soon as I moved there
> neighboring farmers were stopping
> and asking to cut the field for
> the hay and giving me a fourth of
> it which I agree to, what I want
> to know is this fair, and what can
> I do to make some money with these
> fields. The only equipment I have
> at this time is a tractor. Any
> suggestions would be great. Mike

> Being a new land owner of 23
> acres, I have two great hayfields
> that as soon as I moved there
> neighboring farmers were stopping
> and asking to cut the field for
> the hay and giving me a fourth of
> it which I agree to, what I want
> to know is this fair, and what can
> I do to make some money with these
> fields. The only equipment I have
> at this time is a tractor. Any
> suggestions would be great. Mike

Mike,

I believe Dun's answer was just about right!

Now if one of those farmers wants to put the fertilizer and lime on at his cost then your part being a quarter might be Ok! However if you put on the lime and/or fertilizer( and this will be required to maintain a quality stand of healthy grass) then you should get one half!

This could change based on various arrangements that you and the farmer could come up with!

Good luck!

[email protected]

Here in S.C. KS. The normal split is 1/3. The landowner would also pay 1/3 of any fertilizer or chemical expenses.

Latest posts