hay fields rough

Help Support CattleToday:

kickinbull

Reaction score
Trying to decide what to do about hay fields. Not sure why but they seem a lot rougher than last year. Trying to figure out what is the best machine/tool to get them back in shape with the least amout of trips. Any ideas?TIA

Our hay fields are the same way this year. Too much strange freeze heaving this last winter. Some folks roll them with a 20 ton roller in the spring while the ground is wet enough that the rocks can be pushed back down. I just decided to live with it and cut my speed a little. Anything you do to level the ground is going to aise hob with the existing grass. Then you end up with a smooth piece of ground that needs to be reseeded/

dun

dun":19f0na9u said:
Anything you do to level the ground is going to aise hob with the existing grass. Then you end up with a smooth piece of ground that needs to be reseeded/

dun

That's why it's probably best to use the packer harrows. Dad went over the hayfield with it on a test-run when the grass was just beginning to pop up and it was amazing how the grass grew a day later: grew more than the grass that wasn't harrowed.

kickinbull":ne0z11vq said:
Trying to decide what to do about hay fields. Not sure why but they seem a lot rougher than last year. Trying to figure out what is the best machine/tool to get them back in shape with the least amout of trips. Any ideas?TIA

On my personally owned fields, I dump bank sand and spread it in the low spots with my lased controled motor grader.
heavy%20eqipment%20020.jpg

dun":30z9n967 said:
Our hay fields are the same way this year. Too much strange freeze heaving this last winter. Some folks roll them with a 20 ton roller in the spring while the ground is wet enough that the rocks can be pushed back down. I just decided to live with it and cut my speed a little. Anything you do to level the ground is going to aise hob with the existing grass. Then you end up with a smooth piece of ground that needs to be reseeded/

dun
Exactly what we are going to do also. some parts of our fields are so rough it will shake your guts!! So, its just going to take a little longer, by slowing down.

Latest posts