hay feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

I usually allow 20 - 25 lbs of hay per day, per head, and also consider the quality of the hay. Given how things worked out this year, i picked up the lower nutritional quality hay and added liquid feed in the plan.

Fitz, your dead on in that one has to consider the temps. And consider the condition of the cattle in general (BSC, pregnant or not, feed efficiency etc). The ideal is to test the hay you have. I did not but knew it was subpar and that the LF wold make up the difference.

we are feeding alot of bred cows and heifers.they are calving daily pretty much right now.pretty tight calving for a herd the bull stays with year round.

Nesikep":p5w8vyzz said:
I noticed the incredible vaguery in people's responses as well.. seems as a lot of people here are terribly against others knowing how many cows they have, and thus provided completely useless answers.

I left out the weather here.. usually about 20F, down to -10F or so on a cold week

:shock: :shock: Said a dozen times I got 12....might expand the herd by at least 25% (3 head) soon. :lol2: :lol2: If I get wild I might increase it by 50%. That's about all I want to mess with. Want to keep it enjoyable and not a chore.

TexasBred":1xqqqih7 said:
Nesikep":1xqqqih7 said:
I noticed the incredible vaguery in people's responses as well.. seems as a lot of people here are terribly against others knowing how many cows they have, and thus provided completely useless answers.

I left out the weather here.. usually about 20F, down to -10F or so on a cold week

:shock: :shock: Said a dozen times I got 12....might expand the herd by at least 25% (3 head) soon. :lol2: :lol2: If I get wild I might increase it by 50%. That's about all I want to mess with. Want to keep it enjoyable and not a chore.

TB, I've always said cows are like chickens. As long as you've got the chore of taking care of 12, you might as well have 100 and make the chore worth doing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts