Hay feeding strategy

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
A article from Drovers. Maybe should have been posted on the feedyard board but the feedyard folks probably already figured this out.

The web site referenced in the article doesn't seem to be up yet though.
-------------------------------------------------------
Calculate the cost before feeding hay
Hay prices have reached the stratosphere in many areas, especially those hit hard by drought, such as the Southeast. Mark Hilton, DVM, Purdue University, cautions producers to calculate the cost of hay on a per cow basis. "Don't buy expensive hay to solve your problem," he says. "A 1,250-pound cow will eat about 37 pounds of hay per day, and waste an additional 8 to 13 pounds if fed free-choice from a round bale feeder. At $100 per ton, that's $2.25 to $2.50 per cow per day. That won't work." He also urges producers to "limit-feed" hay rather than allowing cows free choice hay. "Recent work here at Purdue showed cows with free choice round bales 'used' (actually wasted) 37 percent more hay than those limit-fed round bales for four hours per day. Cows on the full feed hay did weigh 9 pounds more per head after the 90-day trial, but the difference was not significant." For more information, visit Hilton's Web site at http://www.mwbeefcattle.com.

"limit feeding" hay reminded me of a conversation I had with my brother the other day. He asked if I have enough hay to get the herd thru the winter. My reply: "yeah if one of the cows don't learn to drive my tractor I will". ;-)

Cowdirt":1l9uvhtp said:
"limit feeding" hay reminded me of a conversation I had with my brother the other day. He asked if I have enough hay to get the herd thru the winter. My reply: "yeah if one of the cows don't learn to drive my tractor I will". ;-)

Let 'em get hungry enough & they'll learn how to drive! :D

I'm sure that "limit feeding" works, but I sure wouldn't want to hear my girls hollering at me from being hungry.....

dcara":28sxg7q2 said:
A article from Drovers. Maybe should have been posted on the feedyard board but the feedyard folks probably already figured this out.

The web site referenced in the article doesn't seem to be up yet though.
-------------------------------------------------------
Calculate the cost before feeding hay
Hay prices have reached the stratosphere in many areas, especially those hit hard by drought, such as the Southeast. Mark Hilton, DVM, Purdue University, cautions producers to calculate the cost of hay on a per cow basis. "Don't buy expensive hay to solve your problem," he says. "A 1,250-pound cow will eat about 37 pounds of hay per day, and waste an additional 8 to 13 pounds if fed free-choice from a round bale feeder. At $100 per ton, that's $2.25 to $2.50 per cow per day. That won't work." He also urges producers to "limit-feed" hay rather than allowing cows free choice hay. "Recent work here at Purdue showed cows with free choice round bales 'used' (actually wasted) 37 percent more hay than those limit-fed round bales for four hours per day. Cows on the full feed hay did weigh 9 pounds more per head after the 90-day trial, but the difference was not significant." For more information, visit Hilton's Web site at http://www.mwbeefcattle.com.
My view point is that hay is a supplement. When we put the first bale in the barn we start loosing money. With the price of equipment and fuel even baling your own is a loosing proposition. Proper pasture management and stockpiled forage can cut expenses tremendously.
Better to make money on less cattle than to loose your A on a bunch.
It always amazes me driving down the highway and see beautiful hay meadows next to overworked pastures. This seems to be the norm not the exception.

TexLonghornRanch":3asja7qh said:
"Limit feeding" can also make fence jumpers.

Ya got that right.Every one has its limits as ta when they be goin lookin for somethin ta eat. Fences mostly keep em in only because they ain't wantin ta leave :) ;-) :)

Rookie":3do5lz1i said:
TexLonghornRanch":3do5lz1i said:
"Limit feeding" can also make fence jumpers.

Ya got that right.Every one has its limits as ta when they be goin lookin for somethin ta eat. Fences mostly keep em in only because they ain't wantin ta leave :) ;-) :)

Also, lest we not forget those animals that will "walk through a fence". Considering all those marginal, sub-standard fences out there, it just makes "going to greener pastures" more feasible... ;-) Once a fence jumper (or crasher), always a jumper/crasher...

When prices were sky high here, I pursued ways to cut hay losses. The hay cradles, in lieu of the rings, cut much hay loss for me. It might work for you or it may not fit your program. Just a thought - to go along with this thread subject. Consider the ways to get the most out of your supply. It could be that next year is bad too. '05 was the worst ever locally and '06 was almost as bad.

Best of luck to all of you dealing with this.

novatech":2ddyovi8 said:
Proper pasture management and stockpiled forage can cut expenses tremendously.

That school of thought works real well in Texas, or other places that aren't ass deep in snow during the winter, and that have the rainfall needed to sustain 'improved' pasture. The bottom line is this - I don't care how much stockpiled grass you have, or how well you manage your pastures, if the cattle can't get to the grass you're either going to be feeding hay, or your cattle will starve - it's as simple as that.

We feed in bunks and has all but eliminated waste...only about two or three percent gets tossed out and that is usually eaten by a calf.
We need to feed hay eight months out of the year with the seasonal dry times and the drought years. The cows know whee the groceries are and don't try to wander. Dmc

msscamp":2s0endzv said:
novatech":2s0endzv said:

That school of thought works real well in Texas, or other places that aren't ass deep in snow during the winter, and that have the rainfall needed to sustain 'improved' pasture. The bottom line is this - I don't care how much stockpiled grass you have, or how well you manage your pastures, if the cattle can't get to the grass you're either going to be feeding hay, or your cattle will starve - it's as simple as that.

I agree and I should have included that in my post.
I really have never understood how people up north can turn a profit feeding hay as much as they do. Seems like you guy's make up for it a lot when the grass is growing, with more cows per acre and more bales per acre.

dcara":2bx6mc72 said:
He also urges producers to "limit-feed" hay rather than allowing cows free choice hay. "Recent work here at Purdue showed cows with free choice round bales 'used' (actually wasted) 37 percent more hay than those limit-fed round bales for four hours per day.

Four hours per day? What are they supposed to eat the other 20 hours per day?

I set out round bales in rings every two days, and I make sure they run out for a few hours before I feed them the next batch. This makes 'em clean it up.

I also move the rings every time so that by the end of the feeding season I've fertilized a few acres of pasture without creating muck.

msscamp":m41juq1l said:
novatech":m41juq1l said:

Amen! We have grass a foot tall under a foot of hard drifted snow. The Elk will work for it, the cows just look longingly at the haystack and bawl. They get fed.

Latest posts