hay feeder recommendations?

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
Hi, as noted before we are going to be flying solo with cattle care this winter for the first time. Has me a bit taken aback given the brutal last 2 winters. We have decided to stick with small square bales this winter, as that's what we have best access to.

So we need to get/make a feeder to feed square bales (instead of the large round ones we've been doing). Would like to minimize hay waste. Open to stand-alone units or ones that attach to side of barn; open to ideas for home-made ones or bought ones. I know there are a lot of them out there, just looking for some ideas and recommendations etc. Saw one with a trough below which I liked, but would've only fit a single bale! Will need to feed about 14 head (of which 4 are calves). Thanks, as always!!!!!!!

A long trough with upraights on the cow side so they can't climb in with the bales is what we used to use when we fed small squares. Set up an area adjoining the feeder with a cow excluder (search for "creep feeder" on here and you'll get the idea.
Build it on a fenceline with the trough on the outside so it's easy to service.

Thanks dun. I'm a little (lot) worried about how we manage snow regardless of what type we use....had so much last winter that we realized we need to anticipate a whole different level of "worst case scenario"

You could build a shed roof over the feeder and the standing to eat area. If you do go with a fixed place feeder you should condier either concrete or geotextile cloth and rock to keep the cow sie from turning into a bog. You might also talk to your soil conservation people or maybe even the eextension service to see if they have any kind of program to help building it all. Something else to consider, if there are any old dairys around the may have stantion sections with head locks. I used those for the feeder here in MO. Made it easy to give shots and AI while they were eating. In the desert every couple of months I would have to haul in more sand since even there the feeding area got pretty muckyand the sand pounded out.

boondocks":1keig1i2 said:
Thanks dun. I'm a little (lot) worried about how we manage snow regardless of what type we use....had so much last winter that we realized we need to anticipate a whole different level of "worst case scenario"
A couple of those portable 25' x 8' windbreak corral panels may help a lot in protecting your feeding area from snow drifts and or redirecting drifting, in addition to wind protection. Plus you can move them around as needed or reposition for maximum benefit.

Son of Butch":2e9h5tdk said:
boondocks":2e9h5tdk said:
A couple of those portable 25' x 8' windbreak corral panels may help a lot in protecting your feeding area from snow drifts and or redirecting drifting, in addition to wind protection. Plus you can move them around as needed or reposition for maximum benefit.

Thanks Butch--good advice from a fellow northlander!

Latest posts