Hay Equipment

Help Support CattleToday:

ncboy34

Reaction score
Ok, here's an equipment question for those of you wiser than I. I have about a 65 hp tractor (53 hp on pto) and a new idea 4854 round baler. Something I have been thinking about lately is the fact that I have only that tractor to cut, rake, and bale with. I have been toying with several ideas for my hay making. I am making and selling a lot more hay than I ever use to. I'm debating on getting a different round baler that makes tighter rolls and requires less hp (like some of the Vermeer models) or getting a higher horse power tractor to ease the use of mine now. I'm not sure that doing both would be financially feasable but I haven't really penciled it out yet either. Any thoughts from those of you that make a lot of hay each year?

I'd get another tractor. That way you'll have a spare if your other one breaks down and you can leave one hooked up to whatever

I don't see how you can get a different baler that makes tighter rolls but requires less HP :?: That seems to defy the laws of physics. To make tighter bales, more HP is required.

I have always made 5x5 bales. 5x5 bales from a Hesston 5500 baler weighed around 800 lbs. 5x5 bales from my 856A weigh 1300 lbs. Same size package, but a much denser bale.

55 HP would easily run the 5500 baler. IIRC 95 HP is recommended for the 856A. Used my Ford 8600 on both balers. Tractor hardly knew the 5500 was back there. The 8600 sometimes struggled with the 856A.

:2cents: cheapiest round bailer i ever had was a another farmer who bought a new big baler with all the bells a whistles ,and wanted to do some custome work to help pay for it ! pd him going price at the time and saved a lot money ,oh he wore it out ! quit doing custom and still limps it across his fields now its 25yrs old !

I agree with moo. Unless you're putting up quite a bit it's cheaper to either pay a custom baler or buy your hay

rnh2":1ttyrsqy said:
I agree with moo. Unless you're putting up quite a bit it's cheaper to either pay a custom baler or buy your hay

The thing is, if you want your hay put up in a timely fashion, chances are you will have to do it yourself. If you're lucky, you might get someone to do it on shares. Custom balers are few and far between in this country.

Used to be a custom guy here with a swather, rake, and a couple balers who made about 10K bales every year, but he retired a few years ago. Most everyone else has their hands full doing their own hay.

Dont get me wrong i had an cheap old nh68 square baler in those days so i had a means of doing some my self no1 was my alfalfa then on to grass we were 18 miles apart and i had 100 acre or more grass give to me i started at home place an worked towards him as he got his done he came towards me !if you can find someone to wear theres out an help you in a timely fashon youd be better off at first.