Hay Equipment

Help Support CattleToday:

CCCowman

Reaction score
I have a New Holland WorkMaster 40 (about 35 HP at the PTO) I know this tractor ain't big enough to pull around the 5x5 and bigger balers but is it big enough to pull around the 4x4's? I know they make the "mini-balers" but I don't won't to go there.

How about mowers? Does anybody make on this tractor would do OK with?

CCCowman":1u2vtpqw said:
I have a New Holland WorkMaster 40 (about 35 HP at the PTO) I know this tractor ain't big enough to pull around the 5x5 and bigger balers but is it big enough to pull around the 4x4's? I know they make the "mini-balers" but I don't won't to go there.

How about mowers? Does anybody make on this tractor would do OK with?
You could get by with a drum mower or an old sickle bar ran one on a Massey 135 for years, but that was all that was available then.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2717626690 ... noapp=true

New Holland no longer makes a 4X4.Deere requires 45 hp PTO.Massey has a 3X4 that can be pulled with 30.
Unless you can put them under cover,I wouldn't use one that size.There are a lot of factors to consider.Can you get someone to bale 4X5 bales if you cut and rake?I wouldn't want to move anything bigger with that size tractor.Even with 4X5 bales ,at the least,you should have ballast in the front tires.An FEL or 4X4 would be better.A 1000 lb bale is going to make the front end light.Whatever you decide,remember safe operation will keep you farming longer

I don't know anything about those small rollers. I do have a small tractor, and roll hay with a big tractor.From that standpoint it just don't seem sound safe to me. But others that use them may prove me wrong.

hurleyjd":3e8d6926 said:
Vermeer 5410 or 5420 rebel should be a baler that would work for you.
Vermeers are the easiest balers to pull because of their inner design. Hay is rolled/pressed on a big roller in the bottom which is less resistance, unlike a JD that rolls its hay in the belts. Both designs work good. A neighbor had a JD-447 4x4 baler and it literally strained the poop out of his Ford 3930 tractor to pull it. He tried a Vermeer 5x4 Rebel baler and could make bigger bales with less power and they seemed tigher than his Deere bales.

Just because you have a 4x5 baler doesn't mean you have to make a 4x5 bale :idea: I know a guy bales with a yanmar with a 4x5 baler.

Craig Miller":29nmaz8s said:
Just because you have a 4x5 baler doesn't mean you have to make a 4x5 bale :idea: I know a guy bales with a yanmar with a 4x5 baler.
My Hesston you could set to make a 4x4 or a 4x5.
Model was 745 best baler I ever owned.