Hay equipment question

Help Support CattleToday:

chadreed88

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a used baler pretty soon. What are some things to look for on them to make sure that they are in decent shape. I know that its hard to tell by just looking but for instance should belts be tight or somewhat loose (belts that form bale) anything to look at on the needles that feed the twine? Just looking for any advice. Thanks

quote="chadreed88"]I'm looking to buy a used baler pretty soon. What are some things to look for on them to make sure that they are in decent shape. I know that its hard to tell by just looking but for instance should belts be tight or somewhat loose (belts that form bale) anything to look at on the needles that feed the twine? Just looking for any advice. Thanks[/quote]

The main thing is parts availabilty as all balers break down new or old. My neighbor has a brand new New Holland thats broke down, he is fighting mad not that anyone around here would poke a stick through the fence.
Difference is the factory guy is working on his.
I would want to see the baler in operation, just remember no matter the type belt or chain baler they all can make a preacher cuss.

Thanks for the reply. We have used a chain baler the last few years and now we work on it more than we use it and it isn't making as tight of bales. Thought I would try to find a newer one that might let us get a little more hay rolled.

Caustic Burno":2jyzxj7q said:
I would want to see the baler in operation, just remember no matter the type belt or chain baler they all can make a preacher cuss.

Great advice. See it work and make sure that it DOES WORK! Also.... close your eyes and listen. Listen for squeaks, grinding, thumps, etc. You're listening for worn out bearings and metal damage. Then, look for things that are actually damaged. If it's used, it's not perfect.

Look at the condtion of the belts and the teeth on any sprockets. If the teeth are fairly sharp you can bet there has been a heap of wear. May require new sprockets AND chains that run on them.

Latest posts