hay/cubes/protien tubs/grass

Help Support CattleToday:

Billdevaul

Reaction score
my three lil heffers have hay available via big rounds of orchard grass, and now a pasture of coastal rye i planted late is comming in fast due to a ton of rain lately, they have there mineral block and a protein tub that is 30%. do they need cubes to? whens it time to feed cubes? or with hay and protein tub do they ever need it...????

Billdevaul":y9tvi7xf said:
my three lil heffers have hay available via big rounds of orchard grass, and now a pasture of coastal rye i planted late is comming in fast due to a ton of rain lately, they have there mineral block and a protein tub that is 30%. do they need cubes to? whens it time to feed cubes? or with hay and protein tub do they ever need it...????
since your haying them an have them on the protine tubs an your winter pasture is growing good i wouldnt cube them.they are getting plenty of protine.

bigbull338":3rmmrge0 said:
Billdevaul":3rmmrge0 said:
since your haying them an have them on the protine tubs an your winter pasture is growing good i wouldnt cube them.they are getting plenty of protine.

I wouldn;t be giiving them the protein tubs either. If they have any condition at all on them, they should be able to grow and put on condition on just the OG hay and the pasture

dun

Dun : I've left my tub out for a long time, and they use very little. I thought since it had a limiter that they would only eat what they need. If they don,t eat it they don,t need it. If they are eating it then they must need it??? Please explain why you advise against leaving tubs out.

novatech":3hjqak0w said:
Dun : I've left my tub out for a long time, and they use very little. I thought since it had a limiter that they would only eat what they need. If they don,t eat it they don,t need it. If they are eating it then they must need it??? Please explain why you advise against leaving tubs out.
Not Dun, but it is a waste of money. Put the tubs away until they need it.

Dun is not a big fan of urea either and most tubs contain urea.

Tod Dague":2zxrhouj said:
novatech":2zxrhouj said:

Bingo. Tod hit it on the head.

dun

ive heard pro's and con's of urea but i still dont buy tubs with it in it.... and mine dont seem interested in it like they did before i started cubes ill see if now that ive stopped cubes if they hit it again..

Tod Dague":uy9lvqdt said:
novatech":uy9lvqdt said:

OK; So My cattle are not useing it. but if they were I should take it away because they don,t realy need it. So when do I give it to them. How do I determine when to give it to them and when not to.

novatech":3goirx3n said:
Tod Dague":3goirx3n said:
novatech":3goirx3n said:

OK; So My cattle are not useing it. but if they were I should take it away because they don,t realy need it. So when do I give it to them. How do I determine when to give it to them and when not to.

Provide good loose minerals, salt if it isnl;t included in the mineral. When the quality of the forage or the condition of the animals changes, then you supplement. The eye of the herdsman can save a lot of money.

dun

dun":1r5lyych said:
novatech":1r5lyych said:
Tod Dague":1r5lyych said:
novatech":1r5lyych said:

Provide good loose minerals, salt if it isnl;t included in the mineral. When the quality of the forage or the condition of the animals changes, then you supplement. The eye of the herdsman can save a lot of money.

dun

To this point, 15 yrs. with a small cow/calf operation, here's my way: Spring thru fall grass and all-purpose minerals. Winter, Hay and remaining grass and all-purpose minerals. Hope my cows don't find out how some of you do it. :)

My cattle must need the supplement because they sure eat it. I put tubs of 28% crude protien as a supplement to hay. I don't feed cubes until I just have to but even then the cubes available to me are only 20% crude protien.

My cattle usually seem to do pretty well in the Winter - lose very little weight but in years past I've also provided a Winter forage crop like oats or Winter wheat. This year was so dry that I didn't think either crop would come up so I didn't plant. When I do have a Winter crop the cows eat very little supplement (as previously stated by Dun and a couple of other folks.)

If their not eatin' it put it up. I don't know how much that stuff costs you but mine runs about $60/tub and so far I've fed about ten tubs and probably ought to put out another ten tubs.

Billdevaul":20k27suj said:
Loose minerals???? other than a mineral Block?? what are loose minerals?
Just ask for them where you get your blocks. They come in a bag and make more mineral available for the cattle.

Latest posts