Hay cover size ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Wick

Reaction score
For someone with better math skills than mine, if my rolls are 4x4 and I stack four high in a pyramid shape what is the width of the cover that would do the best be suited to cover them. 30x50 or 24x50? I can stack them 3 high or 4 high in the pyramid shape. Seems to me the stack would be around 16 ft high and 16 ft wide or there abouts. So I am thinking the 30x50. I always hated math in school. I want the tarp to be at least hanging down to bottom half or 1/4 of bottom bale.

Best thing to do is stack one rank and measure it, you want the tarp to stop around the middle edge of the outside bale so moisture has a way to escape. I use 5' tall rolls in a pyramid and the tarps are 25' wide, was sent a 30' wide one last year by mistake and it sucks. I think the name of mine is "Supertarp" or the likes. The last ones I've bought were nowhere near the quality of the older ones.

If you draw a triangle the size of a 4 high bale stack I come up with a number around 18 feet from the peak to the ground. The question I have is whether your stack would truely be 16 feet high. If the bales are stacked exactly on top of one another it would be 16, but if you stack with one bale between two bales below, your height would be a bit less. I just assumed your 16 foot height to come up with 18. Keep in mind this doesn't consider the bales are round,etc. At 18 feet that means theoretically a 36 foot tarp would cover the bales completely. However, when the sides are "tucked" under you would have excess. My guess would be a 30 foot tarp should be about right. Hope that helps.

Thanks, I purchased one of those gray tarps last year, the wind ripped the straps completly out of the tarp, did not rip tarp just the tie down straps. Took it back to farm store got my money back, have used the same ones in the past with rather good luck, thinking about trying one of the hay guard tarps from cowco inc. several have them in my area and seem to like them ok. They are not water proof but rather water resistant. And they are breathable so no condensation. Hope they will be ok.

Wick":1pgrm3c4 said:
Thanks, I purchased one of those gray tarps last year, the wind ripped the straps completly out of the tarp, did not rip tarp just the tie down straps. Took it back to farm store got my money back, have used the same ones in the past with rather good luck, thinking about trying one of the hay guard tarps from cowco inc. several have them in my area and seem to like them ok. They are not water proof but rather water resistant. And they are breathable so no condensation. Hope they will be ok.

To tie down tarps run a rope completely under the bales (before you set them down) and then up over the top of the tarp as well as using the straps - no tarp can take the winds forever using just the tie down straps - they need the extra support from the ropes over the top of the tarp

This method will keep the tarp on through very heavy winds - have some piles that have been tarped for three years now - all with no problem

Bez+

I drew it out on a piece of paper. I have a total height of 13'. I also have one side of the triangle being 15'.

To cover I would say 13+4+13 = 30'.
To cover the Triangle sides I would say 15' + 15' = 30'

So if you only covered 1/2 of the bottom bale, you would have a 26' x 26'

In order to cover from mid bale on the bottom row, up & over to mid bale on the bottom row other side you will need:

4-3-2-1 = 30'

3-2-1 = 22'

This will leave your tarp 24" above grade assuming the bales are good/tight and no slumping.

SSS Angus is pretty dammed close - I think we used 24 foot from just below the half way mark on a 3-2-1 stack to just below the half way mark on the other side -and yes we have gone with 22 and once 20 to do the job - 20 is tight but will basically work if the bale is slightly below the 5 foot diametre - the big problem with it is sometimes it lifts and the rain gets under it - and then down inside the stack.

Better one foot too long that one inch too short - just be sure to not cover "ground to ground" - you will get serious mould.

Cheers

Bez+

Bez+":2rajq1mx said:
SSS Angus is pretty dammed close - I think we used 24 foot from just below the half way mark on a 3-2-1 stack to just below the half way mark on the other side -and yes we have gone with 22 and once 20 to do the job - 20 is tight but will basically work if the bale is slightly below the 5 foot diametre - the big problem with it is sometimes it lifts and the rain gets under it - and then down inside the stack.

Better one foot too long that one inch too short - just be sure to not cover "ground to ground" - you will get serious mould.

Cheers

Bez+

Those are lengths that I got after laying it out in a CAD program. Those lengths were based off a best case scenario, tight bales tight stack, ect. If the bales are loose or the stack is loose there by allowing them to slump a little your tarp would be closer than 24" to grade.

WOW, thanks for the replies, I always knew I could count on you guys/girls for some help. Again thanks.

Wick,

Over the past few years I've had to stack hay outside similar to what your describing. I actually stack pyramid (3,2,1) for a 6 bale total. I get 6 mil poly (black) that's 40' wide by 100' long. (Pm me if you want to find out how to get it) The trick that I've found is that you need to have a lot of extra width. I drape the cover over the hay and put pallets down on the ground to hold the tarp in place on the sides. Anywhere the wind will get in will cause you trouble. I've seen people do a partial cover, but in a strong storm, the wind will play havoc on a tarp. When I finish with a stack, it's fully covered and wont see the light of day until the winter.

One last note, never stack hay in a pyramid unless you cover it. The rain will settle in the bales and ruin much more than if the bales were just stacked flat on the ground. Dont ask me how I know.

cypressfarms":10pmnqat said:
One last note, never stack hay in a pyramid unless you cover it. The rain will settle in the bales and ruin much more than if the bales were just stacked flat on the ground. Dont ask me how I know.
I always stack my hay in single rows. I get grief from neighbors and hay haulers for wasting so much space. However, I have found, similar to you, that you get far more waste by doing the pyramid.

Latest posts