Hay buying approach for the small farm

Help Support CattleToday:

C HOLLAND

Reaction score
I am a small/hobby farmer as some call it.

I need only 60 rolls of hay to maintain the amount of cows I currently own.

I am trying a new approach in buying hay.

I have noticed alot of hay being cut in the last few weeks, so I have stopped by 6 different farms and asked if they would just sell me 6 rolls or any amount they could spare.

Well, I had 2 takers out of 6 today ( 1 for 10 rolls and 1 for 6) and plan to visit another 6 this weeknd. This works out fine for me because I am within 20 miles of all these farms and my trailer will hold 6 rolls and I can pick them up as I go by most of them on my way home from work.

Drastic times call for a better approach or imagination.

I bet you'll be very successful if you catch the guy while he is moving the hay out of the field. Its worth a lot to me not to have to handle it twice. JMO

I know you will do what a guy has to do but be careful of where you buy hay. You can bring in a lot of weeds to your place in the hay. I know I did several years ago. I am about to get them under control.

I know you will do what a guy has to do but be careful of where you buy hay. You can bring in a lot of weeds to your place in the hay. I know I did several years ago. I am about to get them under control.

Jogeephus":1cnv319k said:
I bet you'll be very successful if you catch the guy while he is moving the hay out of the field. Its worth a lot to me not to have to handle it twice. JMO

Friend of our's got every round a guy had off a field last year for 45, as long as he would come and get them. I think it was 300 round bales. Our friend then found someone who would move them on the halves. Friend kept the hay and the other guy sold his for 60 or 70 a roll. It was first cutting Sudan. I think most folks around here only got one cutting, if that. And hay was easy going for 90 - 100 a roll at the feed stores, anyway. Hay has gotten a lot cheaper this year and it is everywhere. After two years of drought, it is nice to see. Course, everyone had trouble getting into their fields, it was so wet...

Lammie":1gczlazi said:
Jogeephus":1gczlazi said:

Friend of our's got every round a guy had off a field last year for 45, as long as he would come and get them. I think it was 300 round bales. Our friend then found someone who would move them on the halves. Friend kept the hay and the other guy sold his for 60 or 70 a roll. It was first cutting Sudan. I think most folks around here only got one cutting, if that. And hay was easy going for 90 - 100 a roll at the feed stores, anyway. Hay has gotten a lot cheaper this year and it is everywhere. After two years of drought, it is nice to see. Course, everyone had trouble getting into their fields, it was so wet...
Wish I could find someone to buy all I could make..........I don't have any cows to feed anymore, so I don't need any hay, but I'm still baling. Probably will have 200-300 rolls this year. I could let them go for near cost just to get them gone........
MVC-003S1.JPG

VZCR":veeu47m9 said:
Wish I could find someone to buy all I could make..........I don't have any cows to feed anymore, so I don't need any hay, but I'm still baling. Probably will have 200-300 rolls this year. I could let them go for near cost just to get them gone

Try posting it on here: http://www.agebb.missouri.edu/haylst/

dun":1ezbzvcd said:
VZCR":1ezbzvcd said:
Wish I could find someone to buy all I could make..........I don't have any cows to feed anymore, so I don't need any hay, but I'm still baling. Probably will have 200-300 rolls this year. I could let them go for near cost just to get them gone

Try posting it on here: http://www.agebb.missouri.edu/haylst/
Ok, thanks! :D

TheBullLady":2s3wjc96 said:
What part of Texas VC?
Van Zandt County, South of Canton and North of Eustace. That's about 65 miles SE of Dallas towards Athens....... :D

Update.

I have had calls and emails from people offering more hay than you would believe.

God is still in charge and knows all our needs.

and the stock market even went up yesterday, praise the lord AGAIN :lol: :lol:

Latest posts